20mm T&G pine board on battens!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Laying a floor to my front room in the next weekend. Boards have been acclimating for the past 2 weeks, now stained and oiled ready to be laid. To gain a level threshold with the kitchen the floor needs to be carried through at 60mm. Have 20mm T&G 5inch wide boards leaves 40mm. I've got some 2x1'1/2 battens which i'm intending to lay at 600c/cs. I don't want a hollow sounding floor so looking for some EPS/polystyrene sheets to put down between the battens.

Looking at something commercially available from your general DIY stores and seen polystyrene sheets at 25/40mm. Now with 1'1/2 inch void, 40mm sheets doesn't quite fit and i'm pretty sure these boards don't compress so i'm left with the 25mm. Will the 15mm void left under the boards still create a hollow sound?

Or should i make some "cradles" out of wood to place evenly under to lift the EPS up to the underside of the boards. The room in question is 5x4m so if i had to do this wouldn't be a massive job, if i can get away without doing it happy days!!! Want to get it right first time.

Also i relaid the front room floor earlier last year hardcore/sand blinding/DPM/100mm insulation/DPM/100mm screed. Surely i don't have to lay another DPM below the wood floor? Better to ask now!

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
If you plan to secret nail your floor on the battens, the latter should be no more than 40cm apart, not the 60cm you're planning.

Thanks for the advice i will follow that and yes i've got the loan of a nail gun this weekend to fire into the grove so i guess that's secret nailed.

Sponsored Links
yes spot on and because you'll be angeling at around 45% you increase the thickness by around 40%
so top off tongue to floor around 51mm [20mm+38minus around 7mm to top off tongue =51mm] +40%=71mm-6mm clearance so 65mm or 2 1/2" nails assuming my calculations are correct

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back