22mm compression sealing problem - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted something on the heating system today with a couple of tails supplied by the manufacturer. Tails supplied were 22mm copper pipes with compression fitting/olive.

Did the usual "hand tight + half a turn", started filling up thermal store and added flushing chemicals then noticed the spurting water coming out of the compression fittings.

Not a problem - another 1/4 turn should sort it. Nope - not a chance. Tightened up slighty more, still a leak. One fitting reduced to a slow seep but the other fitting still dribbled. Another 1/4 turn did absolutely nothing on either fitting so I gave up and did an emergency drain of the system, cut off the fixings and inspected them.

Turns out the supplied tails had a ridge at the top and bottom which once the olive was tightened up, deformed the pipe slightly leading to a gap in the olive and pipe allowing the water past.

I then made the emergency trip to B&Q to get bits for new pipework so we could get the hot water back on. Made up my own "tails" from standard 22mm pipe, tightened hand tight + 1/2 turn and a perfect seal straight away.

Taking it up with the manufacturer as we speak (so not naming any supplier) but what are your thoughts ? Picture attached below - you can clearly see one of the ridges at the top:

Sponsored Links
Turns out the supplied tails had a ridge at the top and bottom which once the olive was tightened up, deformed the pipe slightly leading to a gap in the olive and pipe allowing the water past.

Why didnt u spot this before you fitted it? Would have saved you a lot of time and grief!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :LOL:

To be honest with you, I normally make sure everything to be soldered and fitted is spotlessly clean, no pits in the pipework etc but this time (I think its to do with a kid with ADHD running around in the background), I assumed it would be ok.

On the plus side, the manufacturer has been in touch with me 15 minutes after I sent them an email with the above picture and couldn't have been more helpful. They want the parts back and will be thoroughly investigating whats gone wrong in the manufacturing of the tails. They have also offered to reimburse the cost of the additional fittings/pipe etc that I had to buy to rectify the problem.

I had a bumper a few years back fitting extra rads to a system drined old system fiited rads and pipewor and used 2 15mm kuterlite compression tees to do final connection as water in pipe filled system up and rads wouldnt fill.
Eventually drained and disconnected the tees after checking my own pipework and valves etc onlt to see the tees hadnt been drilled out on the inside!! Not something I would have looked for before fitting them TBH

Sponsored Links
I work in the manufacturing industry myself (I run an electronics business) and come across all kinds of oddities from suppliers. I've had "fake" chinese components supplied that look identical to the original but fail when you try and run them at spec and whole batches of faulty components with manufacturing defects.

I was expecting a bit of an argument from the manufacturer about this but as said above, they couldn't have been more helpful. I'll put my wasted time down to experience but they are making sure I'm not out of pocket for the parts I had to buy.

I'll certainly be double checking everything else before going through all of this again, a half hour to an hour (max) job ended up being an all dayer in the end :LOL:

I had a bumper a few years back fitting extra rads to a system drined old system fiited rads and pipewor and used 2 15mm kuterlite compression tees to do final connection as water in pipe filled system up and rads wouldnt fill.
Eventually drained and disconnected the tees after checking my own pipework and valves etc onlt to see the tees hadnt been drilled out on the inside!! Not something I would have looked for before fitting them TBH

this reminded me of a shower i fitted donkeys years ago, cut tee into main supply in loft ran the pipe down the cavity fitted compression bend to supply and shower where it came out the wall, couldnt get any water to shower, assumed something was blocking the pipe so was mad at myself for not being careful enough, checked valve etc then bend coming out of wall, it hadn't been drilled right out, what a job changing it as i couldnt get the water out the pipe i had to quickly change it over, checked every fitting after that for a few days then stopped cause i couldnt be arsed!! never came across it again but a pig when you do!!

this reminded me of a shower i fitted donkeys years ago, cut tee into main supply in loft ran the pipe down the cavity fitted compression bend to supply and shower where it came out the wall, couldnt get any water to shower, assumed something was blocking the pipe so was mad at myself for not being careful enough, checked valve etc then bend coming out of wall, it hadn't been drilled right out, what a job changing it as i couldnt get the water out the pipe i had to quickly change it over, checked every fitting after that for a few days then stopped cause i couldnt be arsed!! never came across it again but a pig when you do!!

I work in the manufacturing industry myself (I run an electronics business) and come across all kinds of oddities from suppliers. I've had "fake" chinese components supplied that look identical to the original but fail when you try and run them at spec and whole batches of faulty components with manufacturing defects.

I was expecting a bit of an argument from the manufacturer about this but as said above, they couldn't have been more helpful. I'll put my wasted time down to experience but they are making sure I'm not out of pocket for the parts I had to buy.

I'll certainly be double checking everything else before going through all of this again, a half hour to an hour (max) job ended up being an all dayer in the end :LOL:

i will give it a week then you will stop checking everything :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back