230mm angle grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 230mm angle grinder with soft start, and a dead man's switch?

I've looked at Toolstation's website and it's not clear which if any have the latter

Sponsored Links
Thanks. There's no mention of a dead man's switch, though. Having looked around some more, Metabo grinders seem to have both.

To be honest, although I use one occasionally, I'm scared s**tless of large grinders, having almost lost my hand to one a few years ago. So knowing that it will stop if I take my finger off the trigger is important. I've never understood why a grinder of all things would only have a lock-on switch in the first place.

All the 9" grinders I've seen have the usual "trigger" switch where you pull to go, and let go to stop.

The Hitachi has a double switch thingy so you can't knock it on by accident (like a chainsaw)

Sponsored Links
That's good to know. All the 9" grinders I've used have been old ones, where you had to change grip to knock off a locked-on switch.

9" grinders are no longer sold with latching switches; however you saying you don't know why grinders are sold with them, where ever possible I won't buy a grinder without one. Especially on smaller 4.5/5". Paddle switches on those are very irritating.

Depending on what you want from it my advice would be the Erbauer from Screwfix. I've currently got 6, 9" angle grinders and the Erbauer is probably the best value for money even over my Bosch and Makita.

If anyone can remember Screwfix did a house brand called 'Site' and the Site 9" was infact just a re-badged Makita. There was a sale on before the brand was removed from sale and if I remember right me and the old man got 5 of the 9" for £30 each. Considering it was just a re-badged Makita, we thought the cost to have some sat in the shed for years was worth it over buying one branded Makita.

Haven't had any fail yet.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Do you know if the Erbauer also has soft start?

Just checked online and it does.

You probably think I'm a wimp, but when you've had your hand sewn back together once it tends to make you a little cautious ;)

I know what you mean about the hazards of 9" grinders, and the ability to snatch without warning. I've just learnt to hold tight and don't press the tool, just let it do the work, and make a jig to hold the piece firm if cutting small items like block paving. And avoid if at all possible any cutting that involves holding the tool vertical, or not near the ground.

I have a Ryobi grinder from about 10 years ago because it was cheap and I needed it right away. Anyway, it has soft start, a brake, and no latching switch, and needs the safety switch which needs to be held in before the trigger.

I've used this on many concrete cuts (along with some great cheap Aldi and Amazon diamond blades) and it's done really well over the years. The motor does sound rough, and like it will pack in any minute, but has always been like that.

My tip of the day is to also get a toolbox just big enough the hold the grinder and a few blades, and a brush. I've found that these grinders (and blades) are the most unwieldy and awkward things to transport and store. But in a box, no problem.

My tip of the day is to also get a toolbox just big enough the hold the grinder and a few blades, and a brush. I've found that these grinders (and blades) are the most unwieldy and awkward things to transport and store. But in a box, no problem.

Proper soft.

I don't know if they still make them, but years ago the firm I worked for had a 12" electric one, it was truly vicious. It was before diamond blades so we used the composite masonry blades, no goggles or gloves and us young lads wore trainers. I jammed the blade and it broke up with bits hitting me in the eye, fortunately the boss was a nice bloke and he drove me to the hospital (where they picked the bits out) and let me have the rest of the day off. I only worked there in the school holidays but I heard a few months later that another bloke had earned himself the nickname "fingers Brian"!

I don't know if they still make them, but years ago the firm I worked for had a 12" electric one, it was truly vicious. It was before diamond blades so we used the composite masonry blades, no goggles or gloves and us young lads wore trainers. I jammed the blade and it broke up with bits hitting me in the eye, fortunately the boss was a nice bloke and he drove me to the hospital (where they picked the bits out) and let me have the rest of the day off. I only worked there in the school holidays but I heard a few months later that another bloke had earned himself the nickname "fingers Brian"!

You can get 12" cut off saws much like the World Famous Stihl but they're not angle grinders as such.

My old man used to have one that was 3phase; got it out of a bankrupt stock and remained with him until it went on eBay. I think he got it to repurpose the motor as it was cheap but never had a use.

Bosch do one but it has a shoe, could always take of off if a 12" was needed. Not something I'd want mind.

bosch-angle-grinders-1364-64_1000.jpg

Yes, that looks vaugely familiar, and it was a bosch - we used to do a lot of kerbing and stonework so needed the extra depth. Looks like they do a 14" version as well - definitely wouldn't want one of those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back