240 or 110v when working on domestic property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what do most trades use on domestic work ,I do have odd tool a few old tranformers 110v but on last legs , I'm in position of having to get some new tools due to having to leave old gear as belonged to company I worked for previously ,so question is if working on just domestic which would be better choice

Sponsored Links
I would go down 110 route
If you change circumstances and go on site then you would require 110
Also great choice of tools in 110 range
Not a lot of difference in price between 110 or 240
Spare parts easier to get for 110 tools
But your choice

Past job was all site work but the tools where not my own ,now self employed and at mo it's all domestic , not sure I'd go back to site work unless I had to

I would go 110 if your a tradesman. I said I would never go back on site, but then a couple of years ago, guess what found myself back on site to help a friend out. I know it's a bit of a pain with trannys and leads. Also much less of a belt if anything goes wrong too as you'll most likely only get hit with 55v

Sponsored Links
I would go 110 if your a tradesman. I said I would never go back on site, but then a couple of years ago, guess what found myself back on site to help a friend out. I know it's a bit of a pain with trannys and leads. Also much less of a belt if anything goes wrong too as you'll most likely only get hit with 55v
Sort of what I'm thinking ,just good to hear elsewhere , almost ordered 240
Gear last week but had gut feeling it was wrong so held back ,battery gear would be ideal but. Not keen on plunge saw being battery as might lack the staying power on jobs ,got battery saw and it seems to struggle on thick timber

seems powerful battery that ,lad I know just got a new makita battery compound saw ,he's using 18v 3.0ah on it , feels very light weight compared to my old dewalt one , looks good but only time will tell on durability as it feels very flimsy to me

Get the 110v, because at some point you will be outside in the wet/rain, up a tall ladder or some other high risk place.

When things go wrong with 110V it's a 55V shock and no damage.

With 240V you are relying on the RCD in the customer's consumer unit working assuming they even have such a thing. Or your own RCD on the extension reel you have thrown into the van 1000 times and was probably broken months ago. Then there is the time the RCD extension lead gets left somewhere and you have to use some other lead without one.

Just remember to put the transformer in the house and use a 110V extension - not put the transformer outside next to the tools.

what do most trades use on domestic work ......., I'm in position of having to get some new tools due to having to leave old gear as belonged to company I worked for previously ,

Sounds very much like my own position around six years ago , most tools I used belonged to a now defunct building firm and a while after that what few 110v tools I had were stolen. To be honest I then brought some new to replace what I'd lost and went for 240 v seeing as I work just on domestic jobs. I've never had any problems using the gear but would have to agree with the comments here that if you see yourself going back on site the 110v makes a better choice.

Cordless rules...not much you can't do with it now and it's site compatible without having to lug a heavy transformer around with you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back