2400mm on 2500mm wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My wall is 2500mm tall. Was thinking of using one piece of PB and leaving 50mm gap at top and bottom with skirting/coving to hide the gaps. Anyone down this as apposed to cutting a 100mm strip all around the room?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I had the same issue here. Boards up to the ceiling and a few well spaced cuts at skirting level.

IMO skirting is all you need.

A good trick is to run two battens, one about 18mm above the floor, one to meet the bottom of the plaster(board) in such a way that they will be flush with the plaster(board).

Then you can lightly fix the skirting to the battens with csk screws, or glue, it will not matter if it is a bit higher than your pb. There will probably be a tiny crack or irregularity at the top, which you can fill with caulk.

To protect against draughts under the skirting, you can pack the space under the lower batten.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for fast replies chaps, was going to get celotex insulated plasterboard to prevent ghosting on timber frame studs which i think is only available in 2400mmx1200mm.

JohnD's on the right track for my money - only trouble is that the OP's fixing to studding not masonry so there's no need for 12mm battens.
Just blocking out at each stud with an off-cut of p/b will give backing for the skirting, and a 5" skirting will cover the join.

OP, there's various widths of p/b available which might be helpful in your case: a mix of 900mm and 1200 etc.
AAMOI: p/b goes is fixed horizontal, and the first sheet is always fixed up against the ceiling - that way you dont have a short ripping at eye level.

OP, if you run a ripping of 40mm wide p/b up each stud it will pull you out 12mm but the double thickness should eliminate ghosting. However, it would depend on various temp conditions etc. in both rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back