240v Pillar drill keeps tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just bought an old Meddings Pacera 240v bench drill. It has an old MEM STARTET on/off switch unit, which keeps on tripping out after a couple of mins.

I'm a cabinet maker, so no knowledge of electrics. Any ideas why it might be doing this?

Happy to supply more info if required.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
could be anything as you dont have any history of just before this started to happen

first things to check
look for sparks around the brushes
unplug

look at brushes and check commutator is clean

check there is no visible moisture[droplets of water] in the plug or any other area especialy where wireing terminates

when you bought it how was it described!!!

A pillar drill probably has a brushless cap. start motor.

Maybe the centrifugal switch failing to open?

Maybe a thermal cutout in the starter? - especially if there's a fault with the centrifugal switch!

What was the drill used for before you got it? I had a lathe motor fail quite spectacurlarly when it got stuffed full of aluminium swarf!

What are you drilling with it & does the chuck stall prior to tripping, pillar drills have very sensitive overload trips for safety's sake.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, it is the starter which is tripping, and not the circuit supplying the drill?

How old we talking about :?:

Old starters had dashpots full of oil for overloads, these had too be topped up occasionally.

Any thin oil would do, generally the hydraulic oil for the machines was ok.
I've even heard of vegetable oil being used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back