24HX GlowWorm new electrode longer than original (2005) version and doesn't fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we bought our boiler (GlowWorm 24HX) around 2005. When we had it serviced recently the electrode fell to bits. On getting the 'correct' replacement we found it didn't fit, the ceramic insulator around the electrode is too long and fouls on a shoulder of some kind in the heat exchanger..

Our gas man has been in touch with Glow worm who have confirmed the heat exchanger was updated in 2006 but that the model number of the electrode was never changed and are not being very helpful. So I'm guessing this is one of those non-backward compatible updates unfortunately :(

All the suppliers we've contacted have the part with the new length - I've also trawled ebay and sent requests to people selling old/reconditioned parts if they can measure them and bought the one with the oldest most battered looking box (which was the new length) - no luck yet..

The boiler works perfectly apart from this so its frustrating to scrap it.. I'd also like to wait another year or two to see if the 'next gen' house heating thoughts settle down if I can.

My slim hopes are
1) someone here might have seen this and know a workaround with the new part
2) someone here might have a really old electrode part for this boiler in a box somewhere
3) someone here might know a place/company that scraps old boilers that might keep these parts
4) some other idea...?

I need one where the ceramic insulation on the electrode side is ~16mm as for the broken part in the picture below rather than ~20mm for the shiny new one!

electrode.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Trevor

Sponsored Links
Hello Trevor,

Unfortunately this is probably prohibited under forum rules for gas advice, as even though you have told us you have no intention of fitting one, it could be a work around. This probably applies to why Glow worm might not be being helpful too. @ScottishGasMan would probably know if the part is still available and from where (I’ve tagged him in, so he’ll see the message), he works for the Vaillant group (Glow worm are part of this).

I don't see a problem with this thread CBW as they only seem to be asking where they can get one from as opposed to how to fit it.

Mod

Ok, thanks Mod.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, thanks - so I may need to get my gas fitter to post this question, or would there be professional forums he might use? He's a friend so he may be willing to do this.

He is the one who was talking to Glow Worm not me, I was assuming they weren't helpful because the boiler is beyond its expected life span..? ( I'm happy to DIY most things but I don't touch gas - absolutely zero interest in blowing myself up. )

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi Chris, thanks - so I may need to get my gas fitter to post this question, or would there be professional forums he might use? He's a friend so he may be willing to do this.

He is the one who was talking to Glow Worm not me, I was assuming they weren't helpful because the boiler is beyond its expected life span..? ( I'm happy to DIY most things but I don't touch gas - absolutely zero interest in blowing myself up. )
Perhaps I'm missing something, but can't you install the complete thing in the RHS of your photo?

Sponsored Links
Yes, if he’s willing to join the combustion chamber part of this site, not a problem. Also we’d need the GC number if the boiler, something your gas man can get.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but can't you install the complete thing in the RHS of your photo?
Yes, you are, he said it won’t fit as it’s too long and fouling the heat exchanger.
we found it didn't fit, the ceramic insulator around the electrode is too long and fouls on a shoulder of some kind in the heat exchanger..

@trevw, mods are allowing the thread, so, what’s the GC number of the boiler?

News to me. Changed hundreds of Flexicom electrodes over the years and never had one not fit. Part"
0020020731"
I'll ask about but it's certainly not an issue I've seen and cant find any info on there being one that doesn't fit.

Take a photo of the underside of your boiler with the data badge (label with the name/serial number etc on it) and post it up if you get time. As far as I knew the Flexicoms started in 2006. But curious to see if its some earlyer version or something odd that I've not seen.

Hi all, the GC No. is 41-315-61, I'll try and get the whole sticker uploaded so I can post that too

News to me. Changed hundreds of Flexicom electrodes over the years and never had one not fit. Part"
0020020731"
I'll ask about but it's certainly not an issue I've seen and cant find any info on there being one that doesn't fit.
Thanks ScottishGasMan - my gas man said the same, not sure if I'm just really unlucky..

@trevw, mods are allowing the thread, so, what’s the GC number of the boiler?
Thanks Chris - GC No. above

• Thanks
Yes, you are, he said it won’t fit as it’s too long and fouling the heat exchanger.
OK missed that. But it's possible a couple of distance pieces might get round it. Failing that, how about sticking a replacement wire into the existing ceramic? As long as it's touching or quite close to the internal metal, the spark will get through.
upload_2022-4-1_17-57-40.png

BTW the Gas council no. according to my data is No. 41 315 61

OK missed that. But it's possible a couple of distance pieces might get round it. Failing that, how about sticking a replacement wire into the existing ceramic? As long as it's touching or quite close to the internal metal, the spark will get through.
View attachment 265847

Theres a reason they're called flexibombs.
Tick, Tick, Tick, boom

I'm sure it's solvable

• Thanks
View attachment 265847
BTW the Gas council no. according to my data is No. 41 315 61
ANY MODIFICATION OF GAS COMPONENTS IS FORBIDDEN

Hi all, thanks again for your help! For anyone else who reads this having seen the same issue we did try a couple of things

1) Bending the pair of electrodes very slightly allowed the electrode to align at right angles to the case which allowed the ceramic to pass the small metal shoulder just below the mount point.. it was the electrode 'arms' themselves which kept the ceramic at an angle which caused the catching.. unfortunately this didn't work (incorrect positioning of spark I assume)

2) Resting the electrode in a vice and tapping the ceramic back through the plate with a washer+spacer to protect it (it is a single piece of ceramic that is just gripped by the plate) - this made it exactly like the old part and it worked correctly.

However will be looking at the forum as I want to replace it and I'm sure there's a good discussion somewhere about whether to stick with gas boilers or replace with heat pumps etc.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back