What shall I do with my old boiler?

P

paullus

Hi all.
This is my first post here although I have visited dozens of times and found the answers to my queries.
Anyway after surviving for 12 years with a Baxi Bahama 100 I've just had it replaced with a Baxi Duotec 2 33GA. The Bahama had it's fair share of flow valves, two heat exchangers, 2 control boards, a pressure vessel and a new burner over the years.
I'd fitted new flow valves and a heat exchanger in December to keep it going but my friendly gas fitter told me it was old and starting to get beyond the point of economical repair hence the new boiler.
So what can I do with the old unit because as I said it's got new flow valves and a £78 heat exchanger. The pressure vessel was replaced around two years ago. Is it worth trying to sell it for parts or just scrap it.
Also the new boiler came with a flue included in the price but as it turned out it wasn't required and the supplier won't refund as they say I wasn't charged for it?? Is this something someone might want to buy?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
So why didn't you need the flue?

The boiler is mounted on an external wall in the loft. The flue literally exits the top of the boiler and goes out through the wall. The boiler did have to be repositioned though as it uses a different layout to the Baxi Bahama.
The new flu wasn't used because my boiler installer had a suitable part in stock that connected up to the existing flue perfectly. He was thinking that I would be able to return the new unused flue for a refund.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
So your installer stuck a new condensing boiler onto a traditional non-condensing boilers pre-existing flue.

What a fricking idiot.

Good luck with that. :eek:

So your installer stuck a new condensing boiler onto a traditional non-condensing boilers pre-existing flue.

What a fricking idiot.

Good luck with that. :eek:

Ok thanks for that. Please can you tell me what the difference between the two types of flue are?
Because quite frankly they look identical, A tube within a tube, the central tube for the exhaust gas and the outer tube for fresh air in.

One goes with your boiler, one goes with your old boiler.

Why do I get a feeling there was no installer? I can't believe an RGI can be that dumb?

Your flue wil be rotted to nothing within 6 months ... maybe less.

Tell you what, give gas safe a call on Monday and ask for an inspection ... I'd pay money to see that :LOL:

The new flue is designed to to totaly corrosion resistant and water tight
the old one will be neither - the warranty on your new boiler COULD be invalid
and the whole installation could be classified "AT RISK"

If a flue is supplied with a boiler, it the manufacturer would reasonably expect the new flue to be fitted as it is part of the complete unit
you sure Ur installer is registered??? :confused:

Doh you beat me to it Dan!!

Still two diffrent replies both giving the same message OP be worried Very worried!! :confused:

I was going to reply but I couldn't believe what I was reading. The installer needs reporting, I can't believe an RGI would do something so stupid.

And he would be right to worry.

If an installer did that to my boiler I would set the dogs on him.

Would have to buy some dogs first though....

His boiler is classed "At Risk" now... will be "Immediately Dangerous' very soon.

Seems the boots on the other foot , someone getting you back for the suprima thread.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back