25mm MDPE leaks water but not air, how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a job last week that should have been simple but wasn’t.

The 25mm MDPE was showing on the meter to be leaking a litre in 45 seconds.

I dug onto the pipe at the point of entry into the property 40mtrs away and capped the pipe, it still leaked.

I connected my kit which can block the pipe and fill it with air at any point and at no point did the pipe loose air pressure. Even if I didn’t block the pipe, using the meter to block it, it didn’t loose air.

I don’t understand. Could the air somehow seal a fitting that leaks water?

Sponsored Links
So you have a length of mdpe with your test kit at one end and capped at the other and there's no loss of air pressure right?

But when you remove your kit and reconnect pipe to the meter (still capped at end of run) it leaks water?

Is that the test setup or are there other fittings en route?

Could it be that the air pressure is sufficiently higher than the water pressure to close up a leak/pinhole?

Does sound baffling... Could meter be faulty and leaking?

So you have a length of mdpe with your test kit at one end and capped at the other and there's no loss of air pressure right?

But when you remove your kit and reconnect pipe to the meter (still capped at end of run) it leaks water?

Yes to both of those

Is that the test setup or are there other fittings en route?

Could it be that the air pressure is sufficiently higher than the water pressure to close up a leak/pinhole?

There could be a joint on it but no Tee offs.

Possibly but usually it would open up the hole

Does sound baffling... Could meter be faulty and leaking?

I thought that so dug at the meter and capped off and it stopped. I dug at 20mtrs and it stopped. Then I overlanded the last 20mtrs and it stopped.

So i’ve narrowed it down to 20mtrs but can’t pin point it. Very strange.

B78B44BB-C655-4F7A-B498-05D3FD019816.jpeg

B5DBB6EE-2001-4507-82D2-0AC9C5599AB7.jpeg

2C9E6089-593A-4C34-BDEE-8DFB2B3AC8F3.jpeg

Possibly but usually it would open up the hole

I was thinking that something has pierced pipe from outside and the extra air pressure pushes that protrusion, that's coming into the pipe, back out, thus sealing it... it is only a thought :)

Sponsored Links
You might be right (y)

I’m back tomorow to do some more digging at 10mtrs, 5mtrs, 2.5mtrs... :(

I could but we hire the mole kit in but can’t get one tomorow. We should be able to do 4 digs in the day.

I found the leak by fluke.

1st dig done and I could see it flowing in from 1 end so extended and found the MDPE to be split where it was sat on a stone, just like black alkathene does.

These buildings were built 10 years ago.

Still no clue why it didn’t leak air at 2bar.

A531F0DA-7684-41A2-9818-8AC0F96DD262.jpeg

9C0DEE87-F811-4518-ABCC-CB533003CA25.jpeg

217F5F06-DB70-4C18-A81F-F07160C17031.jpeg

5AA74258-97F6-43D3-B11F-E15FF3B2FE37.jpeg

I found the leak by fluke.

1st dig done and I could see it flowing in from 1 end so extended and found the MDPE to be split where it was sat on a stone, just like black alkathene does.

These buildings were built 10 years ago.

Still no clue why it didn’t leak air at 2bar.
Maybe because air (@ 2 bar)can be compressed and water cannot, so water will force through a closed split. ;) No such thing as fluke, M8:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back