28W 4 PIN BUTTERFLY LAMP IN BATHROOM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All,
Help please

28W 4 Pin Lamp not working.
Took of plastic cover . Pulled out old lamp , which came out easy.
Bought new lamp same 28W 4 Pin. etc

New lamp pushed into pin sockets easily.
New lamp does not work .
H E L P
Bathroom light switch also operates a ceiling fan which is working ok so power to light and fan i assume is ok.
Do these sort of lamps have a starter switch ? similar to a normal fluorescent tube ? If they do i assume i will have to unscrew the base fitting to locate the starter switch .
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
KP

Sponsored Links
Starter is not obvious, is it likely to be under the flush base fitting alongside the wiring etc ?

While your at it, with the power completely off, check ALL the wires are securely in their holes. Sometimes the manufacturers connections, as well as the householders, wires are not terminated well.

Sponsored Links
Well, I had it wrong.

It's not that 4 pin do but that 2 pin do not - have a (separate) starter.

Totally confused now.
What appeared to be an easy lamp change has developed into a battle of it has or it hasnt within the thread.
Because i dont even know what a ballast ( of any sort) is i shall do the correct thing and obtain professional advice locally.
Thanks for all your comments
kp

Basically the ballast is the thing that runs the tube/lamp and theres two types, you may have either.

Both can run a 4 pin lamp

An electronic ballast usually has 6 wires connected to it, 4 of which connect to the lampholder 4 pin socket
This WOULD NOT have a starter fitted

A magnetic ballast (choke) has 2 wires connected to it, only 1 of which connects to the lampholder 4 pin socket
This WOULD have a starter fitted usually behind the base plate.alongside the wiring as you earlier assumed.

Thank you ( 333rocky333 ) for your full explanation.

I am happy for this thread to be closed.

Thanks to all for your help

Kp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back