2amp and 5amp plugs and sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inspired by a comment on a very recent thread, it got me thinking about why we still have 2 AND 5amp plugs and sockets.

They appear to do the exact same job, they go on the same electrical circuit usually.

It's almost as though the 2amp ones should be retired, as the 5amp ones are obviously capable of larger loads, though this would be rarely be an issue.

It would be a problem if the 2amp ones weren't made any more for all those that already have these fittings though.

In my place, I only chose the 5amp ones because I already had some 'in stock'.

Apart from personal taste and preference, is there any advantage to 2amp rather than 5amp?

Sponsored Links
Apart from personal taste and preference, is there any advantage to 2amp rather than 5amp?
I personally cannot think of any particular advantage. As you say, I imagine that the main reason why both are still readily available is that some people already have sockets of one of the sizes, or equipment with plugs of one of those sizes, so that there is an ongoing market for both plugs and sockets of both sizes.

Talking more 'laterally', I have sometimes used both sizes when I have wanted to distinguish (within the same room) between two different functionalities (e.g. 2A ones controlled by one switch, 5A one controlled by a different switch) - a practice (albeit probably very uncommon) which obviously requires both sizes to be available.

Kind Regards, John

Never considered anyone might want to deliberately mix the two different types.

Never considered anyone might want to deliberately mix the two different types.
Well, I do in one of my rooms, in the manner I described, for various lights ('standard', 'table' etc) :)

... some of the lights are plugged into 2A sockets, all of which are controlled by one switch, and others are plugged into 5A sockets, all of which are controlled by a different (single) switch. The same could obviously be done with all 2A, or all 5A, sockets (ideally with a bit of 'labelling') - but since the two types exist, I thought I might as well use both!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have 5 amp plugs via a light switch and 2 amp plugs via a 400w dimmer, 2a ones are smaller and more discreet for table lamps

I have 5 amp plugs via a light switch and 2 amp plugs via a dimmer, 2a ones are smaller and more discreet for table lamps
That's very similar in concept to what I have (as just described), the only difference being that I have two switches, not a switch and a dimmer.

Kind Regards, John

2A are smaller and plenty for led!

Much to ppls Hatred, now that lights come with plugs, I just go for 13A and they are cheaper

You don't really need 5A. Considering that normally only one table lamp is connected to each 2A outlet, 2A is plenty.

Edit....unless you are plugging in a 500W floodlight!

The plugs are smaller iirc
That's what I said!

However, although in the distant past, some small socket formats ('custom', surface mounted) were available, as I said, I think that they only come on (or designed for - in the case of 'modules') standard faceplates - hence the same size as a 13A socket.

Kind Regards, John

probably frail enough to be damaged in everyday handling. People yank on these plugs, drop them on the floor, bang them with hoovers and brooms.

How small would the parts in a 2A socket have to be to really be only rated at 2A?
Indeed. I doubt that it is much to do with the current-carrying capabilities of the components of the socket - I'd be fairly surprised to find that a "2A" plug/socket could not carry 13A, perhaps more, without overheating or coming to any particular harm.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back