2Gang switch query concerning removal of metal plate from casing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a classic 2gang 13-amp switched socket in solid oak and I'm trying to remove the metal back plate from the oak case. I want to paint the case and it would be easier to do it this way instead of masking of the switches and sockets. Any ideas how this is done? I've removed the three main screws, but there are two pivoting metal strips which slide into the wooden case which I'm struggling with.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

2016-03-21 19.36.27.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've not seen these myself but I would think pointed pliers to turn them.

Also, I would think you should replace the three screws otherwise the socket will come apart.

Perhaps someone else will have actual knowledge of them.

Yes - once those those screws are removed (you shouldn't be touching these) and you disturb all the works inside, you may as well lob the lot in the bin.

Sponsored Links
Surely the 3 screws referred to have already been removed and secured the plastic to the wooden part - not the 3 still in place which hold the socket together?

I have just 'opened' a faulty one of these. They do not come apart as the brass screw hole rivets hold the wood to the back, even with the metal tabs rotated out of the way.
Wood socket.jpg

Painting a solid oak case?

Why not just throw it a way and use a white plastic socket?

I must be missing the point somewhere...

Looks as if the wood was glued to the black plastic, as well as held in by those rotating strips of metal.

Thanks for the replies folks.

The metal strips rotate but there's not enough clearance from the metal plate for them to rotate enough to come free. Plus as mentioned above, I suspect they may have been glued as well as they do seem rather solid. And the rivets are the final issue which I think makes all the elements pretty much inseparable.

The reason I want to paint them is because I can't find switches and sockets - solid oak, plastic, or otherwise - in the colour I want, that being a match for all iron fixtures and fittings in my room(s) - cast iron radiators, door handles, etc. First world problems, I know.

The metal strips rotate but there's not enough clearance from the metal plate for them to rotate enough to come free.
Well, they went in, so they must come out. That which man hath put together, another man can split asunder.
On the other hand, you could just mask off the socket and paint the front of the oak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back