2nd Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted a 150w outside spot to light up the garden.
I took the feed from a double socket using a fused spur switch. I know need to fit a 2nd outside light near my back door.
Can I use the same spurred switch to attach a 2nd light or do I need a separate spur from another socket?

regards. Pat

Sponsored Links
It will be fine to use the existing. Id take the cable out of the fitting into an IP rated enclosure using stuffing glands and run the cable from this to both lights each having a separte cable into the enclosure.

Thanks for the quick reply and it was you who helped me out fitting the light last week, many thanks for your help and advise.

So now I can use the spurred switch that saves a lot of work.
The new light I want to fit is only about 2 or 3 metres away from the spurred switch and where the cable comes out of the wall and the spot light is all the way around the other side of the house.

Can I take another cable from the fused switch to the light that would be 2 or 3 metres away or do I need to fit a box like you said?
Or cut the cable (that supplies the flood light) nearer my proposed light and add a box then only need 2 or 3 metres of cable from that junction box to my new light near my back door?

Many Thanks Again. Pat

Well most of these 150w floodlights only have one cable entry so thats why i sugested the enclosure as a joint box. But if the light you are installing has two cable entrys then it would be fine to run the cable in then out to the next.

Sponsored Links
Can I take another cable from the fused switch to the light that would be 2 or 3 metres away or do I need to fit a box like you said?
Or cut the cable (that supplies the flood light) nearer my proposed light and add a box then only need 2 or 3 metres of cable from that junction box to my new light near my back door?

Many Thanks Again. Pat
Not sure what you are calling a "fused switch"
Providing the current rating of each of the two cables, exeeds the fuse size, ie 5amp fuse.
Connecting two cables into the "fused switch" should be ok.
Providing the"fused switch" is suitable for the purpose and not the Switched FCU type designed for ONE FLEX outlet

OK this is the light switch that I have connected to a double socket:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320215445137

This is connected to a 150w outside light with one inlet for the cable.

I want to connect an outside light near my back door. The cable from the above switch comes out from the wall about 2-3 metres away from my proposed light, then leads away about 10 metres to the back of the house.

If I take a cable from the 150W light all the way back to my proposed light that just seems a long way.

So what I really need to know is:

A: Can I take a 2nd cable through the wall 2-3 metres to the proposed light near my back door from the above switch?

OR

B: Can I split the cable near where it comes out of the wall and add an IP rated box with 2-3 metres of cable to my proposed light near my back door and then add the cable to my already fitted 150w light around the back to the box?

Sorry to be a pain but its always harder to explain the positions and things than to actually due it. I know what I mean even if I don't know if its right !! I know that by using a single witch both lights will be on at the same time but this is not a problem.

Many Thanks For Everyone's Help & Patients. Pat

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back