Is this ok to do ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of months ago I installed an outside security light. I inserted a junction box into the feed to the shaver socket in the bathroom and ran a spur to a FCU and then outside to the light.

I now, want to add a further 2 lights (only 150W each). What I was thinking was taking a feed from the junction box above, taking this to a FCU and then onto a 2nd junction box which will feed both my new lights.

Does this sound ok to do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know what the more experienced lads think, but, if you want all these external lights do you not think it better to install a more robust circuit?

Legalities aside, what you have done is OK on the proviso that the lighting circuit you tapped is RCD protected. If not, you shouldn't be using it to feed outdoor lights.

If the circuit is suitably protected then there is surely no need for the addition of a second fused connection unit, simply run more light fittings off the load side of the existing FCU.

Sponsored Links
what you have done is OK on the proviso that the lighting circuit you tapped is RCD protected

RCD not required for outdoor fixed lighting systems

Can anyone else confirm whether or not RCD is needed for hardwiring an outside light? Mine will probably be fed from bathroom light fitting, switched from dining room.

Can I say it too :D
RCD protection is not required, tho if there are any exposed conductive parts the disconnection time is reduced to 0.4s.

Just to add my weight, which is not inconsiderable ;) , RCD not required, despite the legions of sparks who think otherwise.

Spark 123 is quite c'rect about reduction in disconnection time for lights with accessible ECPs.

So if there are ECP's and the outside light is fed from a TT installation an RCD maybe required to achieve the disconnection times.

I think Spark123 gets the gold star :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back