Is this ok to do ?

Well, I'm going to be last.

You do not need an RCD to protect fixed external lighting.

:) :D :)

Sponsored Links
Still on topic (just) showers don't require RCD's but because manufactures recommend them most sparks fit one. If outside light manufactures recommended an RCD how many of you would fit one?

Sponsored Links
A couple of months ago I installed an outside security light. I inserted a junction box into the feed to the shaver socket in the bathroom and ran a spur to a FCU and then outside to the light.

I now, want to add a further 2 lights (only 150W each). What I was thinking was taking a feed from the junction box above, taking this to a FCU and then onto a 2nd junction box which will feed both my new lights.

Does this sound ok to do?

Thanks
not really mate.personally i would forget all about that jb business and take a feed from the last light of the circuit you are tapping into run through a spur after that to feed all the lights.that way you only end up with 1 end of line and not 3.if your going to all that trouble though why not run a new cct?

has anyone told you the lights will not need rcd protection :LOL:

Just to stick my concerns in here.

RCD protection of fixed external lighting is not a requirment. But if the device could be damaged and then exposed bare wires touched or become in contact with metal or other conductive surfaces and thus create an electric shock hazard then I consider the added safety of an RCD is a common sense addition. In the same way as an RCD is required in case a normally electrically safe lawn mower or power tool becomes a hazard after damage to it or its cable.

Surely the interior lighting circuit is RCD protected?????

If so, and I am taking a spur from this circuit then that will also be RCD protected.

surely not!
lighting will go on the non rcd side if you have this type of board.

you could fit an rcbo.nothing worse than waking up to 200 quids worth of defrosted meat because you of moisture ingression you didnt notice

Anyway, as said several times RCD is not required.
So, is it ok to do what originally asked?

surely not!
lighting will go on the non rcd side if you have this type of board.

How come if a bulb blows then it trips the circuit breaker on the main consumer unit for whichever lighting circuit it's on (downstairs / upstairs)

i answered this earlier mate.plenty of people have had input also and from some of the better posters.dont you trust my answer?

i answered this earlier mate.plenty of people have had input also and from some of the better posters.dont you trust my answer?

To be honest I had trouble reading and understanding it!

Also, most of the posts have been about RCD!

Confused now, as when I originally asked about installing the original light (several months ago), taking a spur by adding a JB into the lighting circuit and running it from there seemed acceptable. Now, I should have some how found the last light in the chain and just extend it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back