2no. RSJ and pad stones - brickwork questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3D7E1F2E-3C8B-4E05-836C-1FF034035B70.jpeg
Hi all, newbie here.
Soon due to complete on a house, had the SE in to draw up and calculate how we can open up a kitchen and 2 reception rooms to one open plan kitchen diner.
He’s sent me calcs with a fairly big caveat (albeit normal from all accounts I’ve seen on here) stating that the existing brick be exposed to determine if they can take the additional load, prior to commencement of work and subject to approval from BC.
The plan is to remove one original external wall which has already been extended upon to create rec room 3 off the back of rec room 2 and kitchen. And another internal load bearing wall between rec room 2 and kitchen.
His original plans came across requiring metre cube concrete foundation pads under each end of the longest beam spanning 4250mm, with vertical steel supports coming down. And the second beam which tees off from here would sit on a pad stone, this beam is 3700mm.
I’ve asked if we could avoid the need for the concrete foundation pads by keeping some of the original wall which currently sticks out by about 300mm each end as additional support for the longer beam which he has said could be possible, having this beam on padstones instead.
My question is what level of work do I need to do to determine whether the existing brickwork is sufficient enough to support the pad stones?
I’m slightly concerned that we’ve gone from needing concrete foundation pads with vertical steels to a much less invasive and more preferable job with just 2 steels and pad stones, just by keeping 300mm of existing wall (which is now part of an opening to the rec room 3 extension with something similar in the kitchen).
Picture shows blue as original wall to be kept, red as walls to remove.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Expose some of the existing brickwork as requested and take some photos - he (or she) will be able to assume some reasonable values for masonry strength just from looking at the type of brick/blockwork.
They'll also need to know the size of the existing footing below the wall, so you'll need to dig a trial pit next to the wall to expose the footing and measure the dimensions (depth, projection from wall face, type of soil below).
If you can do this yourself and give them a half decent sketch and some photos then you should be able to get away without needing a second SE visit (which I'm sure they'd charge for!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back