2Way back to 1Way (Dimmer)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved home and want to change the 2 way bedroom switchin wall switch and (Pullcord above bed) with remote control dimmer... which is the easy way to do this , i dont have acces to the loft as it is full of junk, so mods to the wiring in each switch the best way, but I dont know which goes where..? any help aprecciated.. oh with pictures.!! Thanks Guys

Sponsored Links
sorry my coloured pen has run out, and it also depends on how who ever wired it, as to their choice of colours.

first thing to do is turn the mains off. Then undo the screws holding the switch on the wall, then make a note of which colour wire goes where.

then post back here what you find. as I said it depends on how whoever installed it did it. you may find as many as 7 wires but do not let that put you off, just let me know what you see, (also if you can see what colours are together in the same cable, but you will see what i mean when you look inside the switch) I await your reply

you also do realise your pull cord switch will be redundant (but with a remote control switch you wont need it)

Ok, I had a quick look behind the wall switch.. here goes...it's a double gang switch but only one of the switches is active from what i can see ( right switch)
2 mains wires each with Black and Red and sheathed earth to metal box. Then there is a seperate red wire which goes into hole 4.

Behind the front- 6 connections in 2 rows. ( Counting left to right )

Top row has Black ( H1) and Red (H2) in in first two holes respectively, third hole is not used.(H3)

Bottom row has Red (H4- Seperate red wire), Red (H5) and Black (H6) respectivley.

Earth is to metal box.

I think the second gang may have operated a seperate light in the room ( which is not 2 way)- But now is disconnected as there is a small lump in the ceiling where it might have been patched in with filler or something.

I didn't look behind the ceiling pullcord as it is jammed up with about 25 coats of paint!

So this is what I have, I hope you can help.

Cheers :)

it depends which way up the switch is (honest) but you should connect your new switch using the red and black wires (although you said you have 2 cables (each with red and black) you didnt say which red went into which terminal, but not to worry)

if you pull the switch out as far as you can you will see it is marked as

C and L1 (or one way) L2 (or 2 way) you should use (for your new switch) the ones that are now in L1 & L2 (but in the same cable)

although across top row you may see C, L1 L2

bottom row should be L1 L2 C

Leave the earths as they are, and put choc bloc on the others (putting a number on them with a pen and making a drawing would be helpful for future reference)

Sponsored Links
OK, this time I had a look with a torch.. here goes..

Top row-
A(COM)-Wire 1 Black. B (1Way) Wire 2 Red. B(2Way) No Wire

Bottom row-

A (1Way)Red(Separate wire). A (2Way) Wire 1 Red. B (Com) Wire 2 Black

The A&B and 1way, 2way and com -are the markings on the switch all reading left to right.

Hope this helps.

perhaps i am missing something, i understand you are being helpful, but perhaps its because i am tired, you need the two wires that is NOT the one in common, but are on the same cable

Well thanks for you help anyway. :oops:

I will give it a go tommorrow, and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

I see no reason (he said grabbing matches to prop open eyelids) that it will not work, although you may ahve to try both pairs, and dont forget to put a battery in the switches remote control

I gonna try the programming the buttons of the TV remote to control the dimmer...well thats what it says on the box!!

I wil let you know if it works!

Thanks again

A O K...all working fine...althought it was wired so red and black from two seperate wires were used..anyway it all works ok.

Thanks for you help.

And i can use a spare button on the TV remote to control dimmer too!

glad you have it sorted :LOL: , but i did say it depends on how who ever installed it wired it. does seem an odd way. i would have wired it in the same cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back