2way lighting help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my electricians have not installed the 2way wiring as I requested and now no new wires can be installed. Here's the difficult bit!

I have 2x1 way lighting circuits I need to make into a single 2way one. There are no spare cores, can a 2way circuit be made out of this configuration using junction boxes?

Please help as I'm VERY annoyed with the sparky and I don't want to fall out with him.

Cheers

Adrian.

Sponsored Links
Please help as I'm VERY annoyed with the sparky and I don't want to fall out with him.
if you requested two way circuits, you need to talk to the electrician as they have errored, they is no need to fall out about it.
You will need a three core strapper, so two core ain't going to make it happen.

I'm trying to imaging what you have there. Are these two separate light switches that operate two separate lights?

Can you describe exactly if any cables are run between the two switches.

If you specified two way switcing then they can just damn well chase in new cables and stump up for replastering.

A last option might be Wireless switching like this http://www.wirelesslightingstore.co...ss-1-gang-wall-light-switch-he307w--pack.html
Other solutions are available.

Only if the switches are with other switches which have power to them can it me made to work and even then there are interference problems.
One can go back to ceiling rose rather than switch to switch using this circuit.
Alt-two-way-wiring.bmp

As you can see three wires to each switch however one of those wires is permanent line so if an adjacent switch in same switch block has a line from same supply then you can link this across.

In the past this was done a lot but because as a result the line and neutral are not parallel to each other there is an RF transmission which can upset other things in the house like induction loop hearing aids and cause hum on radio, TV and Hi-Fi.

The only other option is radio or inferred links to the switches. From the MK switches to the add ons there are a host of units allowing wireless operation however often expensive and many have dimmers built in which will not work with many LED and CFL used today.

quozxo1353481675831.jpg
these will work but the unit is not very good looking and there is a trade off between price and looks. It would seem these from screwfix can even be controlled from your Iphone as well as a standard looking switch like this so there are ways around the problem it just depends on how much you want to pay.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
How many cables/wires at each switch?

Is there access above?

Were the cables sheathed down the wall in conduit or capping?

If there's a lot of cables going to the switch, and you have access above, it may be possible by doing a few 'weird' junction boxes above.

Or if the switch drops are in conduit it may be possible to draw new cables in.

Send pictures of the switches if you can, turn power off before doing so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back