2x1 surface metal back box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For socket and switch, side by side.

I can find surface 2x1 plastic back boxes but not metal (garage type) ones.

Does a metal 2x1 back box exist?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
By garage type ones, I assume you mean surface mounted metalclad boxes.

These are not available as dual box, but are typically joined together with a brass bush and two lock rings.

I have found I've needed a longer brass bush and at least three lock rings, where the modern sizes have been all to cock.

Strange how the dual surface back box is available in plastic but not metal.

Noted on the brass bush.

thanks All.

Strange how the dual surface back box is available in plastic but not metal.
I'm not sure it's all that strange. In comparison with the market for plastic surface-mounted boxes, the market for metal ('metalclad') ones of any sort is probably pretty tiny, so the market for dual ones (rare enough in plastic) must be very very tiny - and therefore probably not worth addressing (from the manufacturer's point-of-view). I can certainly think of no occasion (over the decades) when I have wanted/needed one - and the sorts of environments in which such things are used are such that trwo singles would virtually always be (aesthetically) acceptable.

Kind Regards, John

Not many metalclad faceplates fit other manufacturers metalclad boxes.

And all metalclad faceplates are supposed to 'clip' over the metalclad boxes, so the design of a dual box gets complicated.

The faceplates always come with boxes - so there is zero market for metalclad dual boxes.

Add to the fact that Mk Grid switches sit on a metal box with shoulders, there could be numerous combinations needed.
However when Mk logic first came out they did do surface metal boxes 2213 ALM 2214 ALM,ETC that took standard white fronts for conduit\pyro installs, however i dont recall a Dual version

Last edited:
Yeah 2213 ALM is a 1 gang surface mounted metal box with knockouts suitable for standard plastic accessories with square corners.

If you want to use MK accessories or round cornered ones, use K2213 ALM. But as rocky says, they don't make a dual box. The best you could do would be to buy galv. couplers and brass bushes to join two of these single boxes together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back