3.4kw automatic storage heater recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a replacement 3.4kw automatic storage heater. In order of price, I've ended up with a list:

Elnur SH24A - cheapest and with 5 year warranty
Sunhouse SSH24A
Stiebel Eltron ETC 340A
Dimplex XLS24N

Any recommendations in terms of build quality/reliability, spares, temp regulation etc. ?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Not a clue, but Dimplex stands out to me, they have been making them for years and many still in service, with easy parts access and there own service team.
However looks wise, may not be as nice as some fancier models

Elnur. Much better made than the Dimplex, as well as being cheaper. Controls are much larger so easier to adjust and are flush with the top panel so no risk of the knobs being broken off as with the Dimplex. They also fix directly to the wall through the back of the heater rather than using the grotty metal bracket arrangement.
Internally the elements are on flexible wires so no need to disconnect them when installing the bricks, and the mains connection is a very large 3 way terminal block which is much easier than the 2 way plus threaded bolt effort on the Dimplex ones.

The Creda/Sunhouse ones are identical to the Dimplex. The only difference is the Dimplex one costs more.
I would only fit those if it was important that they matched others already installed.

Steibel - no idea, never installed or seen any of those.

Sponsored Links
I prefer Dimplex ones :)

Creda, Sunhouse and Dimplex are all the same company so all should be made in the UK (Creda and Dimplex most definitely are) Sunhouse might be cheaper as they might make them in China.

Elnur is some Spanish outfit

Stiebel Eltron are German

Depending on how you view life I'd be sourcing equipment made in the UK and supporting UK jobs!

Dimplex for me too, but probably 'cos I've fitted so many of them now. They have improved them so the fixing screws don't have to line up with the holes in the back of the heater, but they have now stopped welding the wall bracket so the bracket is now really flimsy. (n)

Dimplex for me too, but probably 'cos I've fitted so many of them now. They have improved them so the fixing screws don't have to line up with the holes in the back of the heater, but they have now stopped welding the wall bracket so the bracket is now really flimsy. (n)
Yeah I found that with the ones I just fitted, bracket is a bit rubbish but overall they are a nice heater.........as far as a box with some elements and bricks go :)

The old one I'm replacing is a Dimplex c1980s, and it's in an awful state inside and out + has a very ugly wall bracket arrangement too - which was one reason I was asking about alternatives! Anyway, thanks for the feedback - I'll mull it over and make my decision.

I do like the look of the Dimplex ones, the willow colour and the rounded edges fit in most styles of rooms, well as well as a large electrical appliance can anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back