Sector storage heater cutout assembly broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

was wondering if anyone with storage heater experience could advise if this cut out assembly is a replacement for the two that I have on a customers heater. The heater is a Sector model number STHS330A 3.4kw ... I believe the Dimplex equivalent model is a XLS24N
Picture one is of the two cutout assemblies ... the left one is the faulty (blown up) one.
Picture two is of a spare part from website that says it replaces the two assemblies and is a repair kit !
Just looking for confirmation that it will do the job.

All other parts tested ok. The fault was it blew the main fuse - Hager cartridge fuse BS1361 consumer unit - a bit unusual to have this in a domestic environment, although have seen it before a few times.

Many thanks Ladies and Gents in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
I think it's more likely that they mean that that one type replaces both types of old one. i.e. you still need 2 in there, it's just that now they are the same type.

Best, surely, to ask the seller for clarification?

That is what i was proposing to do on Monday morning but just thought I would see if anyone had some knowledge or experience on this subject. I don't normally get involved with storage heaters much but this customer is on my doorstep.

The replacement for the two separate cutouts looks like this: http://www.storageheater.co.uk/dimpex/xl-xt/xls/xls24/charge-limiter-cutout.html
there are several variations depending on the model of heater.
Installation involves removing both the old disc cutouts and the regulator, the new item replaces the whole lot in a single assembly.

The picture you have got is just a single thermal cutout, and if that is what they are supplying, it is grossly overpriced. Generic disc type cutouts are typically £3 each.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for update Flameport ... I looked at that one online too, I am a little unsure what it replaces though. Not sure if you can see from my picture what looks like the Thermostat assembly. Would this just connect across that unit ?

The replacement unit is everything in your picture, including the thermostat that the knob fits onto. Hence getting thwe exact one is vital, otherwise the thermostat spindle won't be in the right place.

If the customer has another heater of this type, a far easier fix is to see what the rating of the blown cutout is, and just buy one of those.

Spoke to the guy from the website and he said the model number needs part number 9509007 ... so ...
ordered this part (on the right) to replace the two that had been installed previously (on the left) still not cheap! with postage and VAT still comes in at £38 ... Landlord is paying so not my issue.

[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back