3.8 metre footing - will it fit builders skip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I'm debating weather I need a skip or not.

For a porch I am digging 1 meters down and 600mm wide for 3.8 metered. If it fills less than half a builders skip, I will just go to tip my self. What are your thoughts? Will it fill under half?

I am putting concrete down 0.75m so back fill will be minimum.

Sponsored Links
It will fill prolly just over of a builders skip. How on earth are you going to transport and transfer that much soil to the tip? Some people are completely bonkers!
The remainder of the skip space will be useful for other rubbish generated.

1.0 x 0.6 x 3.8 = 2.28 cubic meters.
If your skip supplier is imperial, that's about 3.1 cubic yards.
Skips come in various sizes...

Peculiarities of excavated material mean that the volume of dug out soil will exceed that of the written amount by quite a bit, once it is thrown in a skip.
Couple that with the fact that there will be other waste. To not get a large skip would be foolish. The local tip is not meant for building projects.

Sponsored Links

Hmmm. Tell us more of what you know about bulking. It shouldn't take long. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Tell us more of what you know about bulking. It shouldn't take long. :rolleyes:

Ha! Yes, exactly. Actually, I'm curious to know how much such material expands by. I think we're all agreed that won't fit in his boot, aren't we?

In the scheme of things, the cost of a skip (whilst expensive) is not reallly an issue, surely? Get one and enjoy the freedom of chucking loads of other stuff away too!I find it good for the soul to have a skip now and then. :)

It filled 80% (flush from the top)excluding any excess waste (which would be another 10% only.

The skip cost me 180 including vat in Birmingham.

[QUOTE="endecotp, post: 3698313, member: 212016"

Ha! Yes, exactly. Actually, I'm curious to know how much such material expands by. I think we're all agreed that won't fit in his boot, aren't we?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the soil type, but clay is about a third extra.

It would be for useful for others wanting to know the percentage of "bulk up " if you gave he volume of the skip used .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back