3 foundations poured last week. Timber rising

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Any tips on concreting large bases. I would do a few a year however 3 last week, 1 my own, gave an uncle a hand with his own plus seen one other get done the same. We shutter all sides in 7x2 timber, install the radon barrier on top of the radon barrier, plastic risers for holding the steel mesh on the slab. We'd score in some 3x2s from one side to the other every 8ft . This is so we can get a pull on the concrete with some straight 4x2 planned timber. Strong and straight. They are good for pulling! Everytime we pour the concrete, the timber that's screwd in from side to side seems to lift up with the concrete. Lifting about 10mm which is frustrating. We do manage to get the base level however it's giving us more work for pulling once we remove the timber and fill the gap and pull the highish parts. Anyone have any tips to save on extra labor with these timbers rising!

Sponsored Links
you dont say what size the pour is or its thickness nor what its for.
the 7"x2" shuttering should, of course, be fixed down with A. - concrete shuttering pins or B. - long pointed stakes.
i dont understand how you are tamping the pour and if you have set 3x2's the width of the slab.
more info is needed by me at least.

if you are trying to start making a living in concrete work i might be able to help you a little?

The 7x2s have been secured with rebar sank into the ground and don't move. The 3x2s are screwd in front side to side and are level for tamping on. These 3x2s are slightly lifting when the concrete is poured and they are going off level with up lift. This is my issue. How to keep these timbers from not lifting so when tamping, they stay level. Is there another method.

Sponsored Links
How’s it rising if it’s screwed to the 7x2s? Do you mean it’s flexing in the middle?

The 7x2s have been secured with rebar sank into the ground and don't move. The 3x2s are screwd in front side to side and are level for tamping on. These 3x2s are slightly lifting when the concrete is poured and they are going off level with up lift. This is my issue. How to keep these timbers from not lifting so when tamping, they stay level. Is there another method.

Pressure from concrete underneath I reckon.

Screws into end grain wont hold much

Use timber the same depth as the shutter to form the screeds, then the concrete wont get under it and make it bow up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back