3 hands required to fit a light fitting

A very common problem, together with the stupidly short securing screws that are often provided that you have to line up with tapped holes in s bracket. And do not get me started on floodlights that have a machine screw, 3 washers and a nut. This is something you have to assemble and secure while two storeys up on a ladder:mad:

There should be a LAW that the MD of any company, that makes light fittings, has to go up a ladder and fit one of his own lights!

But I'm not one to complain......
Ah yes the m4 nut , bolt and washer so bloody fiddly and they suggest the washer goes on the inside of the bracket

Sponsored Links
Only today I was fitting some B&Q downlights which were reduced from £34.99 to £1 !! (Kit of 10) I tried to explain to the customer how naff they are and to at least fit LED GU10 lamps - but they wouldnt have it. 500W in one lounge. Trying to get two 1mm T&E in was interesting..
I have always said that the designers of lighting should actually fit some so they see how carp it actually is.

Are you sure?

M10s, in this respect, would be huge.

upload_2016-7-24_20-40-32.jpeg
:)

Sponsored Links
All of the ones we seem to fit are threaded on the fitting, then about 6 washers each side, and just a standard M8 hex head bolt. I forget the brand though

Update from Original Poster : OK - Job done

I fixed the mounting bracket then using some twine I hung the light fitting from this, connected the wires screwed light fitting to the mounting plate, and cut off the twine - this worked fine.

So fine in fact that when I did the second one it was extremely straightforward :)

Thanks all

I fitted a load of Dunelm lights today, couldn't fault them at all. They all had 4 decent sized connectors for loop in wiring and the Dunelm LED lamps worked great as well. Far better than anything I have fitted supplied from B&Q or Homebase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back