3 in 1 cooker...(wiring off)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

we are replacing a cooker, from a cooker that was already there, the cable to the consumer unit is 6mm and in good condition, we have 45amp cooker switch on the wall, i was going to wire in the cooker with 6mm or 10mm.

However looking at the wiring instuctions for this new electric cooker.

(it is an italian, hoover candy trio 9503 , it has a small electric oven and grill, an electric hob and also a dishwasher at the bottom of it.)

the load is 8650w, which gives a result of 37.5 amps...

However on the instructions it says to use a 25amp fuse and 3G 2.5mm cable (i'm guessing this is a heat resistant cable, like an immersion heater cable),

it wires into a black box on the back of the unit with bar shunts to connect up the lives and neutrals where needed..

is the 25amp fuse and 2.5mm cable correct,

i know the manufacture states it, but i'm not sure...

Any help would be great,

Thank you

(to be honest i am a plumber, I have my Part P and Part A - enough to wire up electric showers but i haven't done a cooker like this before)

Sponsored Links
Are the seperate parts electrically interlocked in such a way that the dishwasher can't work at the same time as the oven parts, or the grill and oven not able to be used together ?
That would lower the running current.

If 6mm will fit into the appliance terminals, then use that with the existing cooker point.

Otherwise there is the issue of changing the MCB to a 25A one, and while available, they are certainly not common, and are not available for many consumer units.

Are the seperate parts electrically interlocked in such a way that the dishwasher can't work at the same time as the oven parts, or the grill and oven not able to be used together ?
That would lower the running current.

that is a very good point and i am not sure,

it doesn't state anything about them not being able to be used at the same time, i will have a look into that.

Sponsored Links
If 6mm will fit into the appliance terminals, then use that with the existing cooker point.

Otherwise there is the issue of changing the MCB to a 25A one, and while available, they are certainly not common, and are not available for many consumer units.

6mm will fit and would have been my intial thought, but it clearly startes on the wiring diagram to use a 25amp fuse, if i do wire it in, in the 6mm with a 45amp fuse at the exsiting cooker switch plate, am i not increasing any sort danger here, by letting more current through than is needed?, i'm not sure..

I'm thinking using a 6mm cable, with a 40amp fuse in the board, Hopefully that should cover all circumstance.....

I'm thinking using a 6mm cable, with a 40amp fuse in the board, Hopefully that should cover all circumstance.....

Why not just use 6mm cable but get yourself a 25A MCB? That way, only 25Amps can pase through as suggested by the instructions and which can also easily be handled by the 6mm cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back