3 lever or 5 lever mortice lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im getting my property ready to rent out to lodgers but am slightly confused with what locks i should put on my solid pine doors - is there a difference between a 3 or 5 lever mortice lock - i know i dont want a sashlock as that doesnt offer much in the way of security.

Sponsored Links
If these are just internal doors for renting a room in a house, then a 3 lever will do.

A 5 lever has more levers (obiously :rolleyes: ) to pick, and a 5 lever BS kitemarked lock has further anti-pick and anti-drill features too. But for internal doors in a house, this is all a waste, as you don't really need these features.

If it's an external door, then you want at least a 5 lever to BS 3621 and it will have a BS Kitemark

you can get sashlocks with 3 levers, or 5, or 7, or 2. same as a deadlock. the sashlock just has a handle-operated latch as well, which is useful on an internal or a back door.

if you are renting out rooms to different people they ought to have a proper lock on their room door.

the front and back doors ought to have BS locks on them. Chubb is my favourite but you can buy own-brands at Wickes which look like they are made by ERA and are good value

be aware that internal doors are usually thin and flimsy so difficult to mortice for a proper lock

Other considerations:
1. How easy will it be to exit a room/the house in the event of fire. Worth contacting your local fire officer and ask his recommendations. Particularly true if the rooms are being let individually.
2. Insurance. What do your insurers need to see on final exit doors, and do the tenants insurers need to see particular locks on the internal doors.

Fine line between security and fire safety though...

Sponsored Links
Hi all thanks for the input. on to the fire hazard part i would assume that if the tenant is in their room they wouldnt lock themselves in but would only use the key for when they were going out - well thats what i used to do as its more flatshare situation if you can understand that - but now youve given more food for though... :confused: but ill have a look at the locks you mentioned. on the front door i have a 5 lever mortice lock and then another door which is upvc and also the back door so they are fine and fitted as far as i am aware to British Standars.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back