How do I know if I have 3 or 5 lever mortice locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a property and want 5 lever mortice locks on the external door. There are 2 locks currently on it and I don't want to replcae if they are already 5 lever , so....How can I tell if I have 3 or 5 lever mortice locks already?

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Usually stamped on the lock plate where the bolt comes out, might be painted over though. If it dosen't say anything you can be pretty sure the lock is a cheap one and not up to spec.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the property is new to you then change the locks anyway. You have know no idea who the last resident gave keys too. They could have given a set of keys to the mad axeman who lives up the road !
Replace the locks with a quality five lever lock that meet BS6321:2007.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the key, it either has 3 or 5 notches...pinenot :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The notches do not correlate directly to the number of levers in the lock.
On a two lever lock the notches (lifts) would be five. Two lifting the levers and one throwing the bolt. The extra two are needed because the key needs to enter the lock case from two sides. Thus the key for a normal mortice lock will be reversible as opposed to say a safe key that only needs to enter from one side.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank's for letting me know that, didn't know about the two sided entry, fitted hundreds of em too...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links