How do I know if I have 3 or 5 lever mortice locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a property and want 5 lever mortice locks on the external door. There are 2 locks currently on it and I don't want to replcae if they are already 5 lever , so....How can I tell if I have 3 or 5 lever mortice locks already?

Sponsored Links
Usually stamped on the lock plate where the bolt comes out, might be painted over though. If it dosen't say anything you can be pretty sure the lock is a cheap one and not up to spec.

If the property is new to you then change the locks anyway. You have know no idea who the last resident gave keys too. They could have given a set of keys to the mad axeman who lives up the road !
Replace the locks with a quality five lever lock that meet BS6321:2007.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Look at the key, it either has 3 or 5 notches...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
The notches do not correlate directly to the number of levers in the lock.
On a two lever lock the notches (lifts) would be five. Two lifting the levers and one throwing the bolt. The extra two are needed because the key needs to enter the lock case from two sides. Thus the key for a normal mortice lock will be reversible as opposed to say a safe key that only needs to enter from one side.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Thank's for letting me know that, didn't know about the two sided entry, fitted hundreds of em too...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back