3 Lives going into a MCB???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

Well i finally got an electrican round 3 weeks ago nearly and i really think the governmnet need to re-define who they deem competant!!!! Ill take pictures when i get the chance but at least i got the isolator fitted which means if i cant get him back I'll sort it out myself.

Anyway i havent come here to moan, i was just wondering, Because of the S+@t state my consumer unit has been left in i thought i would have a look around at the old one and see how it all works, what ive found is 3 lives going into both the downstairs and upstairs MCBs. Now i understand there should be 2 in there for the ring but 3???? Is this common? The old unit hasnt been touched ive only managed to get the Isolator wired in (as i put it on the wall for him!!)

Regards

Sponsored Links
Yes, quite common. You probbly have a ring final (2 wires) and a separate spur(another wire)

Quite legal if the spur only goes to one place!

PS. Rather that start a new topic it would have been better to add this to your old one. Or provide a link to the old topic. Quite honestly i dont remember the history of what you have dione/are trying to do..

Best regards

Thanks Taylor.

I had a feeling it could be just a spur and someone has gone straight to the CU rather than spur a near by socket. I just didn't know if this was normal so I could sort it while the electrics are getting done.

I'll try and find how to link it all in to make sense, but I'm a bit of an IT biff really!

Sponsored Links
Pedant.

OK, so if there's three coming out of the MCB, does that mean there are three going IN to the neutral?

Doesn't it depend on what we are talking about.
AC energy flow? Maybe that goes in and out 50 times a second

or

the physical view of the conductor. If I am installing a conductor I put it INTO the termination!

(Runs and hides)

I had the rec2 wired in because I actually put it on te wall where I wanted it as a was away when he came. Wouldn't have took much to trim those tails back instead of it looking like a siluet of John Waynes legs!

I had the rec2 wired in because I actually put it on te wall where I wanted it as a was away when he came. Wouldn't have took much to trim those tails back instead of it looking like a siluet of John Waynes legs!

It may look a bit untidy (in a place where no one except you will see it) but the important thing is whether it is safe and compliant.

As the new CU isn't fitted yet, maybe he thought that they would need to be longer for the new CU. and no point trimming them for a sake of a couple of weeks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back