3 phase electrical appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 3 phase combi oven plugged into a 32amp 3 phase socket. I have recently purchased a 3 phase deep fat fryer and would like to know if it is possible (by using a y cord)to plug the two appliances into the one socket.
The oven has a data plate which shows 18kw 27 amp
The deep fat fryer which has about 5 heating elements has a data plate which shows 19.2kw and specifies L1 3.84kw, L2 7.68kw, L3 7.68kw

thanks

Sponsored Links
No you require two separate supplies one for each appliance.

Regards,

DS

This is a DIY forum designed in the main to cover domestic, clearly with three phase appliance you are talking about a work place, as we leave the domestic we also leave Part P and take up other sets of regulations and this in turn means employing people who are suitably trained for the the job.

Using pre-assembled items is one way around the using of qualified staff but clearly the adaptor would need testing and entering on the equipment register with every other appliance and so normally you would still need an electrician to test the splitter before it is used. The same applies for any fixed appliance.

So you are using 26A per phase already and want to add 33A as well so clearly both could not be used together, I see that having a splitter removes the need to unplug one and plug in another but I would not be happy with a situation where one could so easily lose the supply and as a result risk having to dump the food being cooked.

Be it unplug and plug in the other item or a change over switch either would ensure the two are not run together. With the splitter at some time some one will forget and once a MCB has tripped due to over heating it takes quite some time before it can be reset.

This is a DIY forum designed in the main to cover domestic, clearly with three phase appliance you are talking about a work place, as we leave the domestic we also leave Part P and take up other sets of regulations and this in turn means employing people who are suitably trained for the the job.

Using pre-assembled items is one way around the using of qualified staff but clearly the adaptor would need testing and entering on the equipment register with every other appliance and so normally you would still need an electrician to test the splitter before it is used. The same applies for any fixed appliance.

So you are using 26A per phase already and want to add 33A as well so clearly both could not be used together, I see that having a splitter removes the need to unplug one and plug in another but I would not be happy with a situation where one could so easily lose the supply and as a result risk having to dump the food being cooked.

Be it unplug and plug in the other item or a change over switch either would ensure the two are not run together. With the splitter at some time some one will forget and once a MCB has tripped due to over heating it takes quite some time before it can be reset.

Why would you need to test an off the shelf splitter before it is used??

Sponsored Links
To make sure it is safe to use instead of finding out the hard way that it isn't?

Immediate things like cpc continuity and polarity/phase rotation come to mind..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back