3 phase for EV charging point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I have the drive up I have been thinking of bringing a 3p supply into the garage to feed an EV charging point for the fast charge supply.

Has anyone done this? EDF are suggesting £1500 as the cost. I can't see any government grants for this which I thought there would have been. Is it a worthwhile investment?

Sponsored Links
Is it a worthwhile investment?
No.

A 3 phase supply would allow charging at 22kW, but only if the vehicle supports that. Most do not.
Single phase charging is 7.2kW, and is plenty for the vast majority of uses, as that will add about 25 miles of range for each hour it's connected.
Parked overnight for 8 hours is 200+ miles of range.

Sponsored Links
I would think the money would be best spent on solar PV and batteries.

Then charge for free

I would think the money would be best spent on solar PV and batteries. ... Then charge for free
How long would it take, in the UK (and separate answers for Summer and Winter, please!), for domestic PV to generate about 60 KWh of electricity (to charge for 8 hours at 7.2 kW, per flameport's figures, assuming 100% 'storage efficiency') - and what would ~60 kWh (about 5,000 Ah at 12V) worth of batteries cost (and how much space would they occupy)?

Kind Regards, John

I think 8 Hrs is generous.

It depends how many panels you have. people are doing it in the UK though. Look on YouTube.

I can’t say I particularly like the idea of batteries. But the way things are going, it seams to be the answer

I think 8 Hrs is generous.
It probably is - but even a fairly small fraction of that would result in arithmetic that would tend to suggest that it would not be very realistic in the UK
It depends how many panels you have. people are doing it in the UK though. Look on YouTube.
I have little knowledge, and no experience, of what can be achieved with PV. However, again, I would suspect that one would be definitely stretching practicalities in the UK.
I can’t say I particularly like the idea of batteries. But the way things are going, it seams to be the answer
Is not the problem that, at least for those who had fairly high mileage car use, the batteries used to store the electricity would have to be comparable (in size/bulk, weight, cost and life expectancy) to those installed in the EV?

Maybe battery technology will one day advance to the stage at which it could be a practical idea.

Kind Regards, John

How long would it take,
Far too long to be practical. Might be possible all day in the middle of June on a 100% sunny day.

However almost no one drives 200 miles every day, so the total energy required per charge is significantly less.
Even those that do are unlikely to do 100% of their charging at home.

Far too long to be practical. Might be possible all day in the middle of June on a 100% sunny day.
Quite so - as I'm sure you understood, my 'question' was essentially rhetorical.
However almost no one drives 200 miles every day, so the total energy required per charge is significantly less. Even those that do are unlikely to do 100% of their charging at home.
All true but, as I said, even if it were a fairly small proportion of 200 miles per day, I'm not so sure about the practicality of the arithmetic, particularly in Winter in the UK - not to mention the 'batteries issue'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back