3 Phase Ramp - Will it work ?

Sponsored Links
as it needs 3 phase to work, the average house has only single phase, so,no it will not work.

It will cost an absolute fortune to try and get it to work on single phase

You can have a 3-phase supply, but you will have to pay your Distribution Network Operator's costs of changing your connection.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You could use an inverter drive to run it, single phase input three phase output, a 2.2kw drive will be about £400, maybe less if you shop around

Don't overlook the possibility of fitting a single phase motor of the same HP rating in place of the maker's original, depending on the design this may or may not be practical.
If, and only if, the load is fairly constant (and for this it probably isn't) it is possible to spoof 3 phase from single phase with a capacitor (about 50 to 100uf/horse power) but the motor will be a bit underpowered, as it is getting 230V between one pair of phases, and 220v via a capacitor on the other, and unless you want to switch caps in and out as the load changes, this is not practical in cases like this, but I mention it for others who may be also needing 3 ph but for less stressful purposes. I have seen very cunning ones where a phase angle sensor was used to click in more or less capacitance with relays as required, but if this makes no sense, then I fear building one will be beyond you.
The other trick is to use the capacitor start as already described, and have an idler 3phase motor with a flywheel to acta as a motor-generator to level up the 3 phases.

Inverters are much cleaner, but the budget may well not stretch that far.
regards M.

good suggestions all, but i bet its bumping up the price too much

3 ton for a ramp is alot of weight. I would ask the power rating of the original motor to see if it is worth while to convert to single phase. Most single phase motors max out at 3hp.

When I was younger my father ran a three phase car ramp from a single phase supply using a solid state convertor. Can't remember the exact cost of the convertor but I think it was around £75. It ran fine. I think it was a 1 1/2 hp motor.

Some three phase motors will run on single phase with only a minor rewire and the addition of a capacitor.

Don't rule out the possibility that this motor is one of those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back