3 Phase supply - Help

I'd not worry about the 3-Phase bit and peices unless they really are in your way. The meter is a mdern (read industrial 'smart') 3Phase one. Doesn't matter if one, two or all 3 phases are consuming energy it has only one output so will serve as a domestic one also.
As has been said, I think the only "3-phase bits and pieces" are the 3-phase cutout and meter - which, as both you and I have suggested, would probably be best retained. Most of the bulky stuff there relates to the storage heaters (now going or gone), so that can be removed, and all the various CUs etc. will probably be replaced by a single one - at which point the OP should have a simple and tidy installation (and few, if any Henley blocks!).
Any property with 3phase and a 3P meter installed is worth more. Please don't ask the supplier to remove it 'cause if you or your successor in the property want 3 phase for their use it is so expensive to have it installed and the reasoning to have installed so converluted and difficult.
Very much so - much as I said above ("if it were me..."). I have a 3-phase installation and, although I'm using all three phases, I could manage quite happily with just a single-phase one supply - but there's no way that I would dream of 'getting rid of' the 3-phase supply.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't even bother contacting DNO unless you need the cut-out fuses removed during the works.

If you do get it changed to a single supply you will end up with: the cut-out (Company fuse), 2 tails to meter, meter, 2 tails to your equipment. Something like this but with fewer 'earth' wires:
20180216_143713.jpg

All the rest of the installation is yours to do as your electrician feels fit.

BUT I see there are 2 electric showers, if these are being retained it could be beneficial to run at least one of them on a separate phase.

I am assuming the supply is currently 80A or 100A fused. If it's less than this I'd definitely say keep it 3 phase

Last edited:
Our electrician will fit un a new consumer unit but who is responsible for removing the huge 3 phase supply unit? it it us or the electric company?
That bit got me thinking ... especially when you later posted :
they are (according to the electrician) the old boxes for the 3 phase uni that we want removing
I can't help thinking you need to find an electrician - ie someone who actually understands electrical stuff. This one sounds like that only know enough to do "standard" domestic stuff - perhaps one of those "5 day wonders" - and is completely out of his depth.
It's hard to think that a competent electrician would not understand that all that stuff is redundant and can be removed.

I can't help thinking you need to find an electrician - ie someone who actually understands electrical stuff. This one sounds like that only know enough to do "standard" domestic stuff - perhaps one of those "5 day wonders" - and is completely out of his depth. It's hard to think that a competent electrician would not understand that all that stuff is redundant and can be removed.
I agree. I must say that I had similar thoughts (although I did not communicat them explicitly) when, back on page 1, I wrote:
As has been said, everything other than the meters and the thing at the bottom right with the fuses is yours - so if (as I suspect) a lot of it will no longer been needed, it will be for your electrician to remove it (once he's worked out what it all is and does).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
John, why do you always feel the need to enforce on people that you thought of something, or solved the riddle first?

John, why do you always feel the need to enforce on people that you thought of something, or solved the riddle first?
I don't, most certainly not 'always' (i.e. there are countless occasions on which I could, but don't, do it). This is far from the first time that people have commented about this in relation to me, and I don't really understand why I get 'singled out' - are they perhaps frightened to criticise the main culprit for such behaviour?

Do people other than me not often say, in everyday conversation, things like "Yes, I wondered that, too" or "Yes, that's very similar to what I previously said/suggested" ?? It's usually mainly a means of underlining one's agreement with something that someone else has said/written.

There was one frequent and prolific contributor to the forum (who has not been around for a few months) who very regularly posted identical, or nearly identical, comments to ones that I, or others, had posted long before, without any reference to, or acknowledgement of, the prior posts. That irritated me a bit, and I could easily have taken him to task about it (sometimes several times per week!) - but I rarely, if ever, uttered a word.

Kind Regards, John

Don't worry about it.

I often answer a poster's question in the first reply; sometimes with a simple "Yes". That doesn't stop others agreeing with me and continuing the thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back