3 port MV not switching to CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, id like to know how to rectify a problem with my MV. My timer appears to be functioning ok as it switches on the HW as programmed, However for CH the boiler is not firing up. Originally i though thus maybe a faulty room stat, however after replacing it the problem remains.

So I set the timer to CH on, and then pulled the lever on the MV over to CH and the boiler fired up, however if i let go of the lever it pulled itself back. Do I have a faulty MY, or is it not getting the info it needs to switch over?

Sponsored Links
More likely the syncron motors failed.
main_product_HPHAVSYNC.jpg

Sponsored Links
One motorized valve (left) or two (right)?

View media item 5946 View media item 11762
If just one, can you get heating when the HW is also on?

You should be able to hear the motor running when Heating is turned on. (Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope.)

It's the one on the left. A Honeywell .And yes ch does 'mostly'hot when the HW is on as well, but as we only used to have the hw on for 2 hours a day . Ch used to work better when hw was not on.
To recap...
Every time i swith heating timer on and I pull it towards me, it just moves back. I might add that pulling it towards and putting it into the little hook to keep it there doesn't seem to work because, a. It's not far enough over, and b, it moves itself out of the catch.

So do I need to replace the synchro?

It's the one on the left. A Honeywell .And yes ch does 'mostly'hot when the HW is on as well, but as we only used to have the hw on for 2 hours a day . Ch used to work better when hw was not on.
To recap...
Every time i swith heating timer on and I pull it towards me, it just moves back. I might add that pulling it towards and putting it into the little hook to keep it there doesn't seem to work because, a. It's not far enough over, and b, it moves itself out of the catch.

If, from the first paragragh you mean that the heating works when hw is also on then no you dont,you have a possible wiring or actuator fault
to exclude the programmer select both hotwater and heating then turn the cyl stat down
does the valve now motor to central heating?

Matt

To recap...

If, from the first paragragh you mean that the heating works when hw is also on then no you dont,you have a possible wiring or actuator fault
to exclude the programmer select both hotwater and heating then turn the cyl stat down
does the valve now motor to central heating?

Matt

When I say the ch mostly works when hw+ch are both on, I mean that just 3 of the rads near the pump come on. The downstairs rads remain cold, previously they used to get hot.
I have tried the test that you suggested, I turned down the stat on the cylinder but the motor on valve did not move to ch.

So I set the timer to CH on, and then pulled the lever on the MV over to CH and the boiler fired up

ok I've read through properly , if when you did the above the hw was turned off, then that suggests you have power at the valve white,
so yes I'd say you need a new motor

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back