3 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I fitted my own central heating about 24 years ago, all worked well. It's a "Y" system but over the years I have had to replace the 3 port valve about 4 to 5 times. But now I have to replace it again after only 10 months use. It is getting a bit silly any ideas as to what may be wrong, Cheers, Reg

Sponsored Links
Hi Reg,

What brand are you fitting? You may have sludge in your system which could be creating resistance for the motor to burn out.

Could be the hot water tank has been in place for the 24 years, but the only thing I can do is change the tank, I believe the tank cant be cleaned out, I have cleaned and flushed the system.

Sponsored Links
I now have a Honeywell to fit, fingers crossed it's the answer, but is there anyway to clean out the tank, or is it a new tank, as this one is very tight in a cupboard.

I'd suggest turning the valve when the power head is off, just to make sure the shuttle is moving freely before replacing the power head.....there may be sludge in the system but unfortunately a tank clean won't do much.
If there is crap in the tank - there will be - consider removing the tank for a clean or maybe a wet vac could help.
John :)

I used to get through honeywell actuators regularly but about 6 years ago I changed the rubber ball underneath and have had no further problems. You can buy that part separately from honeywell.

That's a good point jajodu and worth a try given the amount of motors that have been replaced.

Is there anything I can put in the hot tank to clean it then flush it out. At 82 I'm not as fit as I was.

Hi Ian, yep that's part of getting older you worry about most things. Thanks again.

If you're worried about the coil inside your HW cylinder being furred up, there's an old trick that involves temp shocking it, but results are unpredictable... You could also try and have it cleaned out, but again results can't be guaranteed.

Just get the valve changed and maybe flush the system through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back