300 Quid To Tile Small Bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had tiler out provide a quite to tile a small bathroom with a floor area of 5ft by 5ft6.

He quoted £300 to tile this small area and said that that he would have to temporarily remove the toilet.

I am in ‘the North’ where tradesman costs tend to be cheaper.

Is this a realistic price?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If he is providing everything tiles, adhesive, grout etc then that don’t sound like a bad quote.

If you not happy then go with the rule of 3 and get 2 more quotes for comparison.

@Lampchamps.

Does not include tiles. That is his best price for labour, grout, adhesive and temporarily moving the pan.

I was just thinking. The approximate square metres here is 1.72x1.52=2.6 metres squared.

Say the average tiling costs in this area was £30 per square metre. The total cost based on area would be £78.43.

Am I missing something here? Even with moving the pan temporarily, I still don’t get the £300 quoted.

Sponsored Links
I would guess that removing the toilet will add a fair amount of time to the job, so that might be where a lot of the money is going, literally down the loo.
But if you want a good job, might have to do it that way. Use something like MyBuilder, get a few quotes and see what's what.
On the last job I posted quotes came in at 280, 380 and 600.
the 280 guy did a great job.

"Say the average tiling costs in this area was £30 per square metre. The total cost based on area would be £78.43. Am I missing something here? Even with moving the pan temporarily, I still don’t get the £300 quoted. "

I think you are missing the point. You are assuming its the floor that needs tiling. I read it that its a room that needs tiling and to give you an idea of the room size, the OP has given the floor area. To get a total meterage, he should also have give the height of the walls. It might not be flat walls either so may involve lots of cuts and joins, window recesses etc. Gotta be at least a days work plus come back for grouting so £300 doesn't seem to mush to me. As said, get some other quotes.

"Say the average tiling costs in this area was £30 per square metre. The total cost based on area would be £78.43. Am I missing something here? Even with moving the pan temporarily, I still don’t get the £300 quoted. "

I think you are missing the point. You are assuming its the floor that needs tiling. I read it that its a room that needs tiling and to give you an idea of the room size, the OP has given the floor area. To get a total meterage, he should also have give the height of the walls. It might not be flat walls either so may involve lots of cuts and joins, window recesses etc. Gotta be at least a days work plus come back for grouting so £300 doesn't seem to mush to me. As said, get some other quotes.

Sorry I can clarify that it’s a small bathroom floor of only 2.6m squared that needs tiled.

Now, that is a rip off! Get someone else in or do it yourself - can't be that hard.

well he is charging a days money and materials......

thats the problem with small jobs -tradesmen arent always that interested.

maybe somebody else will be pleased to have a small job they can squeeze in around other jobs.

@Motman, I have to admit even with my limited knowledge of tiling costs, 300 quid for 2.62 metre squared seems very excessive!?

maybe somebody else will be pleased to have a small job they can squeeze in around other jobs.

@Notch7. I have always tried to employ local tradesmen, as often they tell me that they are struggling to get work in the face of growing imported competition. However, this isn’t the first time I’ve been given quotes that don’t match the job required.

It would take up the most part of a day so the rest of the day is wasted, then he would have to return to do the grouting so another day is wasted

So lets be generous on the materials he is supplying - say £40. What is the sub-floor? there could be materials needed for that as well.
So the balance is, without sub-floor reinforcement materials, £260 for labour, transport etc.
I reckon that is 3 part days work - day 1, preparation including SLC; Day 2, laying tiles; day 3, grouting and refix pan.
3 into 260 is circa £85 per day, that is pretty cheap considering that he doesn't know how long the first day is going to take on prep.

Could be done in a day with rapid set cement , but I charge £150 a day + materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back