33cm depth lintels anyone/ for solid wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently I have a 530cm span / and a three brick course ( i.e. three widthcs so 330mm )solid wall!, supported by:

a) a 560cm length steel beam, fitted in 1971, for those interested from a company in Middlesborough according to the writing on the beam. It is one brick course deep, and three brick courses high.

b) there is a two brick course wide central pillar from the ground up to the steel (not to help the steel but for item (c) benefit

c) there are two cast concrete lintels fitted into the external wall, facing outside, and of course resting as mentioned on the item b).

Now - i would like to raise the opening by five brick courses and preferably get rid of the combination above and just use one steel.

I have looked at Catnic/Cougar site and I am at a COMPLETE LOSS. There seems to be no products for those with a three brick course solid external wall, and how to put a lintel in there. P.s. There is about three metres of solid wall above the lintel, circa 42 brick courses.

Any ideas on my options, and MANY THANKS in advance please!!!!! To repeat retaining the central brick pillar I would like to lose, but foceably will keep if no other way round this.

Sponsored Links
Just to get this clear, are you saying the wall is one-and-a half bricks thick? (ie approx 13 !/2" thick).

Walls are described in course's high (75mm or 85mm) for vertical, and brick widths (multiples of approx. 110mm) for thickness

You can't have "courses wide". You'll confuse us

The wall is three width's on the horizontal, hence the total depth is 33cm (+-0.5cm).

does that help? The widest catnic i can find is only to 215mm.

Sponsored Links
Most modern cavity walls are 300mm wide and Catnic make lintels for those. 15mm either side will make no difference.

Hi, as mentioned this is a 1780 property, solid wall not cavity.

If you read the 2012 brochure from them, pages 30-55, no options for this scenario. You would not use a lintel designed to have 0 load in the middle to support 42 courses of bricks above it....

The normal catnic lintels would not do for solid 330mm brick walls.
However, Canic sell a fabricated beam (called CXL) which is made up of a standard I beam section, with a metal plate welded on the bottom.
You could phone their tech department to see if this would do for your situation.
Failing that, you could try 2 steel beams - a 203 wide column section for the inner two layers, and a normal 4" wide I beam for the outre layer.
Alternatively, consider a broad flange beam with plate welded underneath, as sketch. You would need an SE to do the calcs for this.
By the way, if it's such an old building, won't the conservation officer have somenthing to say?

Cool will ask catnic about this.

We are in conservation area and yes property is old, however as it was a stables from 1780-1971, hence not lived in by humans, it is not listed and we can do lots I am told.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back