37 year old oil fired boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Vague question i know but as were looking to buy a house i hope no question is a stupid one

The house we like has an oil fired boiler (no mains gas available) that is original to the house , the house has from memory 10 radiators , some old fashioned where there is just one panel, some two

What kind of money am i looking at to one day replace this boiler?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
I dont want to change it until it breaks, i want to allocate a certain amount so that one day when it does need replacing i have the funds to get it done

With most houses costing £300k upwards I don't think that about £2-3k for a replacement boiler is very significant. Finance or bank loans are freely available when required.

But its not just the boiler but there may be useful improvements to be made to the radiators like adding TRVs and replacing for more modern looking ones may be a good idea.

Then there is insulation. That is a very beneficial improvement as it saves fuel, often a lot of money. Loft insulation is often free or subsidised and that can save £2-300 a year.

Oil boilers, properly serviced, can often last a very long time but eventually spares availability or heat exchanger failure could require replacement of the boiler but if still going then keep it for the time being.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I fitted an Intergas 30 o.v to replace a floor standing ideal my dad fitted 41 years previously. To put this in perspective he's 66 and he fitted it when he was 25!!!
The first boiler install cost £400 and it was the same customer.

and replacing for more modern looking ones may be a good idea.

Larger radiators can operate at lower temperatures and thus with lower water temperature in the return enable the boiler to be more efficient. Removing layers of paint from radiators make themm more "efficient" ( has the risk that holes ( corrosion ) will leak when the paint sealing them is removed )

Over 37 years, many things change, including building regulations. You really need a survey to take into account oil storage and supply, and system design. Remember, all work will need signing off by building control, or certified by a competent person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back