3A fuse for fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been a bit naughty and installed a couple of fans with out 3amp protection, am I right in saying that if the manufacture doesn't specify a 3amp protect then it isn't needed? I've need seen it required before in the fans I normally install.
The ones I have installed and been pulled up on (NIC inspection) where cheap newlec's and they do state a3amp fuse (who knew).
Surly a 6amp mcb will trip before a 3amp fuse any way.
I have two options
1.replace the fan for a decent one
2.3amp mcb in DB
What would you do??

Sponsored Links
I always say follow the MI.

However, there does seem to be a LOT of fans on 6 amp lighting circuits without a 3 amp fuse.

Never known the NIC to pick up on this before.

How easy is it to alter the wiring?

Is there a loft space above?

I would fit a 3 amp switched fused spur outside the bathroom serving all the bathroom lighting and the fan.

In other words put the 3 amp spur just before the bathroom lighting wiring.

Is this easy to do, or a bit of a nightmare?

Not sure which fans don't specify 3 amp fuses, a lot seem to now.
Never really been sure how critical this really is.

It may be an idea to contact the technical department of the fan company, and ask them how essential this is. For all we know it may be a load of back covering, in case someone connects it to a plug top with a 13 amp fuse or something like that.

I don't think you really want 3 amp MCBs, are they available in your particular brand?

Sponsored Links

However, there does seem to be a LOT of fans on 6 amp lighting circuits without a 3 amp fuse.
A lot of ex-fan's MIs are now stating use a 3A fuse.
I Never known the NIC to pick up on this before.
They may have now picked up on what the MIs are stating, instead inventing their own regulations!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back