Does shower room fan need a fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom has two switches on a panel at the entrance. One controls the light and the other controls the bathroom fan. The fan has stopped working so I want to replace it.

I have bought a Manrose Gold Long Life Axial 20W Bathroom Extractor Fan with Timer. The fan fits and I was planning to do the installation as a drop in replacement. The instructions say the fan should be protected by a 3amp fuse. I can't see any fuses on the old wiring and the switch doesn't seem to have a fuse either.

The old fan didn't seem to be protected by a fuse so do I really need a 3amp fuse fitted for the new one?

Sponsored Links
I take it the fan is connected to the lighting circuit, which has a 6A MCB in the consumer unit?

If so, there is no electrical reason for additional fusing down, but in order to comply with the letter of the regulations, the instructions need to be followed.

If the fan has a 3-pole isolator and has overrun, then there will need to be some work done to accommodate a fuse. Given the same situation, I would not bother with the additional fuse based upon 'sound engineering judgement' that is was unnecessary.

If there is no overrun, then the isolator could be replaced by a double-pole switched FCU with a 3A fuse.

If you read the instructions, the fan needs a fuse.

Therefore bin the instructions and fit the fan with no fuse, just like 99% of other fans.

If a 3A fuse was fitted, the 6A MCB will trip before the fuse will.
Even on a 5A fuse, it's highly doubtful if an extra 3A fuse would do anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back