3KW rated shower ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved to a new build house and I need to install a suitable warm water supply in the garage.
It needs to be something like a shower which has a flexible hose and it would never be on (ie draw current) for more than 5 minutes at a time over a 20 minute period maximum, and even then only once a month or so.

The problem is most showers are 8KW+, and the garage electrics installed by the developer are taken from the ring main and use 2.5mm 3 core which would not be suitable (or would it).

Is anyone aware of a suitable 2kw or 3kw Shower on the market - I know these used to be available as we had one many years ago in our house.

Or would it be possible to use an 8.5KW shower on the ring? - I suspect not.

Sponsored Links
You cannot put a 7Kw+ shower on a ring, or what is probably a spur in the case of the garage.
There are no 3kW showers, the nearest would be an oversink hand wash unit, it may be possible to fit a hose to one.

However the biggest problem is the amount of water you will get from it - even at barely warm, 3kW gets you only 1 or 2 litres a minute.
If more is required, a stored water heater would be more appropriate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.
The answers you have given are more or less what I expected.

- even at barely warm, 3kW gets you only 1 or 2 litres a minute.

The water does not have to be more than reasonably tepid as long as it is not cold, and the rate does not have to be greater than you'd get from a watering can spray - so I need to test out a supply rate of 1-2ltrs/min to see if it will suffice.

The water does not have to be more than reasonably tepid as long as it is not cold, and the rate does not have to be greater than you'd get from a watering can spray - so I need to test out a supply rate of 1-2ltrs/min to see if it will suffice.

the 3kW instant handwash units only give 1 litre per minute, and a cat could pee faster. In winter they are very poor.

that oversink 5 litre looks good value, and easy to install.

you can fit a timed fcu to avoid the risk of accidentally leaving it on.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTGBT4.html

p.s.
Is it to wash the dog?

some kind of mixer tap would suit then, that you can out a shower-type head on, and choose a comfortable regulated temp.

they're available on undersink heaters, but I don't think you can put them on that type of oversink heater, because it has a vented outlet. I've never tried. Read the installation instructions before you decide.

It might be possible to set the thermostat on the oversink to lukewarm, say, 35C.

Or I suppose you could fill a watering can.

Last edited:
Or I suppose you could fill a watering can.

That is what we were doing after getting him 6 months ago - and it was getting a bit tedious.
Now we have moved house and the garage is closer I thought it would be nice to have warm water on tap (no pun intended :rolleyes:)

I will investigate the over sink heaters further, but I came across this earlier tonight -
https://www.aquahot.co.uk/hyco-sf05k-speedflow-premier-undersink-unvented-water-heater-5l
As it is only 2 KW it should be safe on the garage wiring, and I could plumb it in with a mixer tap/shower head without too much of a problem.

You could add a TMV to give a controlled outlet temp but thermostatic bar mixer showers are so cheap that may be your best approach

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back