1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

3ph to Single Phase

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by funinacup, 20 Aug 2021.

1. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It doesn't, but that's only for DIY work, as in someone doing work in their own home.

EAWR does apply to any electrician or other person working in a domestic premises or any other location.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. funinacup

funinacup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, I meant they are protected by 16, 25 and 32A RCBO's. The sockets themselves are 32A.

When making up the lead, which live pin on the 3ph plug would it be best to wire the brown live in the single phase wire to? I appreciate this depends on a multitude of factors with regards to phase balancing, but I am using one of these 5 sockets at a time, for short periods.

4. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    None of them. You can't do this yourself.

5. funinacup

funinacup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would making up a lead not be allowed? It's not altering any of the fixed installation at all.

6. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you make up an adaptor or extension lead for use in a commercial environment, it must meet the required standards and is subject to CE or UKCA marking and all of the requirements that go with that.

Or just buy one as suggested above.

7. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Indeed - but, as I said ...
    Kind Regards, John

8. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That looks a good bit of kit, can't see any reason not to go for one of those and leave the wiring as it is (that's what I'd do).

9. briwire

briwire

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nothing wrong with making leads up. The pins in the connector will probably be labelled L1, L2, L3, N and earth symbol or E. Use one of the Ls for live and N for the neutral, obviously. If you have a multimeter just check that you only have 230v at your socket not 415v.
    Probably best to use the same L for your sockets as there may be a regulation about mixing phases on single phase outlets in the same room. Someone who knows the regs better than me might confirm.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thats a nice bit of kit linked to, however it begs the question - how many pins do the sockets on the back wall have???

12. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    provided you have complied with all of the required directives in designing and assembling it, tested it properly and completed the declaration of conformity (which you will obviously be keeping available for at least 10 years) and marked it appropriately with UKCA or CE or both marks depending on where it is to be used.

Or just buy one from a reputable manufacturer.

13. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you were to buy that box, you would also need a
    Cable with red plugs/sockets on the ends to connect them.
    It lining up perfectly is unlikely

14. davelx

davelx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Which legislation requires the above? There is nothing in EAWR as far as I can see - I've just read them.

Or is it some other regulation relating to the supply of equipment for sale? If so, does it apply to one-off items, as well than to items made for sale and use by multiple customers (which regs would those be?|)

15. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. davelx

davelx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The first section of which is

"This Guide is for businesses placing electrical equipment products on the market in Great
    Britain from 1 January 20211."

"Placing on the market" has a specific meaning, but it's not entirely clear what that is. I can't imagine it is intended for to cover an extension lead put together by an employee for use within his employer's organisation.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2021
  17. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    On the market = the thing exists in the UK/EU and can be used in a commercial activity.

Can be paid for, given away free, can be a single item or a million of them, and can be new, used, refurbished, imported or a combination of those things.

The tedious directive in full : https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32014L0035

Whether that was the intent is not clear, but it does apply to that, and that's why events companies generally hire or buy all of their extension leads and distribution boxes as finished items, as it's far less trouble than making them up themselves.