1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

3ph to Single Phase

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by funinacup, 20 Aug 2021.

1. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Didn't that go out with the 14th/ 15th Ed.?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yup thats what it boils down to it

you could probably do it quicker than the time taken to read this thread :D

4. crystal ball

crystal ball

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think it did, I remember going to great lengths to keep SP stuff on the same phase, then we got the ok from upstairs not to do it

• Like Like x 1
  5. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is that necessary, would it be any more hazardous than a machine with Three phase in it or a 3 phase lead to a machine, go in any commercial kitchen and their single stuff s is balanced over 3 phases

• Like Like x 2
  6. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Am I missing something , why use leads or adaptors.
    Surely just fit the 5 pin plug on to the single phase lead of the machine

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. funinacup

funinacup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This is the best post in this thread, by a country mile! Why I didn't think of that I do not know, haha!

8. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Apparently not any longer, the Regulations changed. The difference between a 3Ph item and two 1Ph items is this.....

If the earth on a 3Ph item became faulty and a phase make contact with the metalwork, the metalwork will then be live and at a potential of 240v to earth. If two or three phase make contact, then the MCB will trip. Should two separate 1Ph items suffer that same fault and be adjacent to each other, then should you make contact with the metalwork of both items you would be across the much higher potential of 415v.

The likelihood is quite remote, but it can happen and the first possibility happened to me, some years ago. I walked into a flooded and dripping banking hall in the dark, already wet through from rain. A metal cased drier had a faulty earth and the casing was live. They had originally been installed with RCD's, with the one for this particular machine had been removed by an incompetent idiot, because they assumed that because it was tripping, the RCD was faulty. As a result, I was thrown by the 240v shock the length of the banking hall. I was lucky I was thrown, rather than being grabbed.

Now imagine a similar scenario but your making contact with the live bodies of two machines, on two different phases, 415v.

9. plugwash

plugwash

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You are essentially describing a quadruple-fault condition at that point, two separate* earth failures, plus two separate failures of basic insulation.

* If the two appliances cases were connected to the same failed earth feed then it would be the same as the three phase machine scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That was a circumstance the Regulation makers originally had in mind, when they brought out that regulation. They obviously thought there was a sufficient risk back then. i must admit, I thought that regulation was still in force.

12. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought I'd put that in my first post... oh well must try better

13. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don't know about the regulatory situation (although I have seen lots of things written by people about it) but, as plugwash has said, any concerns appear to relate to such improbably situations of multiple simultaneous faults that they probably do not need to be considered by regs. More generally, if it was considered necessary to plan for such 'multiple fault' situations, that could lead to some pretty ridiculous regulations!

On the contrary, if there are multiple single-phase sockets derived from a 3-phase supply, I would be personally be tempted to suggest that the advantages of balancing the load across the phases would probably outweigh the 'perceived disadvantages' of having nearby sockets on different phases.

Similarly, I have always been a little worried by the "Danger - 415 [or 400] Volts" labels - which are/were 'required'. At least in relation to the unwary/uninformed, that almost implies that they do not need to take as much care if "only" 230 volts exists within an enclosure!

Kind Regards, John

• Like Like x 1
  14. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  15. SimonH2

SimonH2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It should be exactly the right plug for the 16A outlet.

16. AdrianUK

AdrianUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    True enough ....... unfortunately the OP has 32A sockets....:p

That supplier has some rather..... interesting leads in his collection. One is a 32A 3P+N+E plug to 16A 3P+N+E in-line socket plus 16A 2P+E socket, without any inline protection. And the infamous 32A to 2 x 16A unfused splitter.

Now I know that some of us do have similar things in our "get-you-out-of-a-mess-under-carefully-supervised-conditions" box but I'm not sure I'd ever commercial sell one of these!

• Like Like x 3