United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice please. I had a new
roof fitted 3 years which included repointing the chimney and fitting
new flashing as part of the job. The old roof had been on for 60+ years
and had never leaked but it was starting to show signs of needing
replacing so I went for it.

During an evening of heavy rain I was awoken by the sound of water
running onto my bedroom ceiling. An inspection in the loft showed that
water was running down the chimney and onto the ceiling.

I have contacted the roofing company as the roof and workmanship is
covered by a 10 year guarantee. They have told me that "all chimneys
leak" and that it may never happen again. They are saying that water ahs
probably saturated the chimney and bypassed the flashing. I find this
hard to believe seeing as it wasn't a seep but a run of water that I
found. I will add some photos showing the damage that had happened
within 2 hours of it starting to rain, once I have access to my files
later on today.

Am I wrong to expect that a roof that never leaked under the same
weather conditions should never leak following replacement if fitted
correctly? I assume that the repointing or flashing was inadequate or
badly fitted? Also how long can anyone expect repointing (if done
correctly) to last (guarantee was for 1 year)?

I feel I'm being fobbed off (they've tried it on before with other
problems I've experienced following the work they've done) and any
advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Becky

Sponsored Links
That roofing company are wrong, and are fobbing you off

Chimneys do not leak, roofs leak and roofs leak around chimneys

At the very least they should attend to confirm if their work is at fault or if it is a new unrelated problem, rather than just dismissing the fact that their work could be faulty.

But having said that, I would now be wary about any inspection by them as if it is just one of their employees doing the looking, then you may well find it a case of "Oh no, our work is all OK, you need extra work doing to the chimney". Then when you tell them to do this (at extra cost) they sneakily fix the problem they found with their work while they are up there

It may well be a new unrelated event (storm damage) and so one for your insurers

In any case, insist that they come and have a look and provide a report on the probably cause. Then either go with that, or get a second opinion from another independent roofer

If they wont cooperate, get in touch with trading standards, or if the guarantee is insurance backed, or you paid on credit get in touch with either of those companies

Or tell the company that if they don't sort it out, then you will get another company in and if the work was found to be faulty, you will claim all you costs back from them ... via the county court if need be

Chimneys do not leak, roofs leak and roofs leak around chimneys

Agree with Woody that you may be being fobbed off but would also say that chimney's do leak (sort of) if the brickwork is old and no damp proof course is present (age of building points to this) they can get saturated and show water ingress further down.

But in this instance it does sound like a leak, maybe a flashing has come adrift (though it shouldn't)

Smells a bit funny if they have already decided that its nothing to do with there work without even looking.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I've been in touch with the company and they're coming out at some point up look at it. I've since found another leak elsewhere which has reduced my confidence in their work yet again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back