4 8.5kw Showers. 100amp main fuse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi if a 5 bedroomed house want to have 4 8.5kv showers in and the existing c unit mains sw is rated at 100amp. could you install another c unit and put 2 on each. what would be the safe way and the legal way to do this, b4 i get a quote. my brother in law said he had a split board put in when he had his shower fitted. Any advise is welcome. Thanx.

Sponsored Links
4 electric showers is a lot, even 2 is pushing it on a normal domestic supply.

If you really want that many electric showers then you have a choice between either an interlock system to prevent them being used at once or a 3 phase supply. Neither option will be cheap.

water pressure may also be an issue.

Gas boiler and hot water tank is a better option for two or more showers.

Having a shower you cannot use because another one is already being used is a pain.

Interlocking can mean you get all lathered up in shower No.1. You turn the water off while you scrub away, then you turn the water back on to find the interlock has locked your shower out becasuse another shower has been turned on. Dried soap lather.....nothing worse.

Sponsored Links
With four 8.5kW showers all on at once you will be overloading your service fuse. Putting in an extra CU doesn't help. Also, plugwash is right about the water pressure problem. It can even happen with a single shower if your water flow rate is poor.

Putting four mixer showers on the same hot cylinder could also cause trouble. In our house we have only one but the water runs cold if somebody turns on a hot tap downstairs. My intention is to give the shower it's own little hot tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back