4" T&G Floorboards + General timber questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace some damaged T&G floorboards. The current boards measure 100mm (cover) by 20mm. So my books would indicate they are 4" by 3/4". The house is 1960's vintage. I can't find these anywhere!! I have a fair bit to replace and don't really want to use planks instead - anyone else come across this problem?

Also, any chance someone could explain these terms, lifted from a merchants timber catalogue?

PTG (what does the P stand for, planed?)
Carcassing
PSE
WBP - this is marine ply isn't it but what does it stand for?

Many thanks

JD

Sponsored Links
I believe it does

Carcassing is another term for rough sawn timber
PSE is "planed square edge" timber
WBP is not marine ply but exterior grade it stands for weather and boil proof and refers to the glue used. marine ply can be wbp or not, it means that each laminate in the ply is made from a single sheet of venneer
Matching to old boards can be a right pain, but you sshould be able to find something pretty close if you are going to carpet over them then it shouldnt really matter too much.

heeelllooo jdl diy

100 by 20 will be ex1"by4"[before machining knock off 5mm ish all round]although likely to be nearer 96by20mm

ptg as you say planed tounge and groove

carcassing as chappers says rough sawn [and poorer quality]than p s e [planed sqaure edge]

and chappers brilliant description of wbp deserves an oscar :LOL: :LOL:

now if youve got loads to replace assuming they are in different rooms why not completly renew all the floor board in one room and use these to fix the other rooms

Sponsored Links
Hi there guys, thanks for your replies. So is 4" by 3/4" ptg unavailable now? According to one of my books it was fairly standard stuff at one stage so that surprises me.

I needed the marine ply to do some panelling and boxing in the bathroom - so will this WBP board be up to the job? On the board it says PAL EXTERIOR. So WBP is just a grading applied to the glue is it? What then is marine ply?

Thanks again

JD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back