4 wires into a socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst decorating I decided to convert the current surface mounted double socket (which is on the skirting) to a flush wall mounted socket above.

When I took the front plate off it was clear that there were 4 x 2.5mm wires going into it which was a bit of a surprise i was only expecting to see two as part of the ring. I don't know where 2 of the cables are going as they run towards the landing and under fitted carpets etc and without lifting all of this I probably won't find out although I am a little concerned that this maybe a seperate ring running off the socket.

Either way the new wall mounted box isn't deep enough to take all four cables and it would be a bit of a pig to run all four up the wall to the new socket so could I join them all together under the floorboards either by crimping or by a junction box and then run one cable up to the socket?

That way wiring the new socket will be easy and the circuits wherever they may go will still be complete.

Sponsored Links
Buy a 6 way junction box easily the neatest way of doing it. Coupla quid from a popular DIY supplier

Or get a deeper box to go in the wall!

disconnect all 4 cables and isolate them seperately in connector blocks.

switch the power back on and see what's gone off..

probably a couple of spurs off the ring main..

if they are then you CANNOT run a single to the socket from A JB.. that would make it 3 spurs off the ring.. and 2 is already 1 too many..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I'll check where the hell all those cables are going and then decide whether I can wire them into the ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back