45amp Ceiling Pull Cord Switch keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i went to change a 45amp pull cord for a shower and when i changed it the new 1 kept blowing so i took it back to the shop and they changed it and the sames happening iv put the feed in and the load to the shower is only a 8.5 kw shower o 6mm all i was doing was changeing the pull cord over becuase the old 1 blown, can any 1 help me with this 1 please

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by "blown"??
Did the switch just stop working or was the wiring charred and burnt?

The switch will be carrying a fair amount of current. If the connections are not made properly then they will burn out.

Make sure the cable ends are stripped back to bright copper and that the screw connections are done up as tight as possible.

Not really because you are not telling us whats happening!

Why did you need to change it? You say because it had "blown"?

What do you mean by this? What is "blown"? did the MCB or RCD operate? Is this what you mean by "blown" or did you hear a bang or something when you turned the switch on?

You really need to expand a little on what you mean and what happened.

You really need to expand a little on what you mean and what happened.[/quote]

the old switch was wouldn't come on so when so when i took the pull cord down to check it the neutral cable in the load termal was burnt and melted in to the to the pull cord switch, so i striped the cables back and put a new pull cord on and every time i turned the electric board on the pull cord kept blowing trip out on the electric board i followed the wiring dirgram wat come with the pull cord

Sponsored Links
I would double check all the connections on the new switch, dis-connect the feed to the shower, power up and see if the switch operates without tripping the breaker.

It sounds to me like you have connected to switch incorrectly.

Nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back