45cm floor tiles with precut 22.5cm grooves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just bought some floor tiles (Dual Gres chic Collection "Poole", sold as "The Townhouse Collection - Whittaker Street" by Tons of Tiles in the UK).

The tiles are 45cm x 45cm but have come pre-cut with grooves on the face side so that each tile is effectively split into quarters, 22.5cm x 22.5cm.

Each groove is 2mm wide and about that deep. It's deep enough to go through the glaze and facing decoration to the body underneath, but not much more.

I'm trying to understand what they intend me to do with the grooves and can't find any info on the manufacturer's website.

I guess the grooves could be "fake" grout lines - are they expecting me to lay the tiles as they are and grout into them, giving the impression of smaller tiles? If so, I'd be loathe to lay out the whole floor to 2mm grout lines to match the grooves as that seems like a recipe for disaster. The grooves don't look deep enough to grout into successfully anyway.

Are they instead expecting me to cut each tile down along these lines so that I actually end up with 22.5 x 22.5 tiles that I can lay out as I see fit? That seems weird, as surely they'd just make 22.5 tiles in the factory ..?

Has anyone come across this sort of setup before and, if so, what is the intended use of the grooves?

Many thanks

James

Sponsored Links
We sell something similar. You are intended to grout them. Most cheap nasty grouts like Mapei, Unibond etc will be too gritty for them to comfortably get into the smaller joins (Mapei do make a high spec one but I've forgotten it's name) but you would want something like Micromax2 or something of similar spec for that kind of tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back