4m high stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am building a 4m high stud wall over a 15m length (it's in a commercial unit we're converting to a church). Are there any special precautions I should take with regard to the height ?
I'm planning to use 4" x 2" uprights at 400mm centres. The big question is regarding stability at the centre of the wall (just under 4m). I was also planning to build the wall in situ - ie. get 4.5m lengths of 4" x 2" and do the whole length in one piece. I have had advice that I should make up the wall in segments and then bolt it together in place.

Anyone with experience in building a stud at this height and able to pass on any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
1. you will have to source lengths of straight studding for your project - both for studs and plates.
2. Typically, one assembles the studwork flat on the deck and then raises it in position. To do this, your bottom plate will be on edge precisely at it's final position.
3. Determine exactly where the wall will be, then drop plumb lines from the proposed head fixing to the deck, and snap a chalk line between your deck plumb points - that chalk line will be the inside edge of your wall.
4. to raise a 50ft x 13ft wall in one piece will require 6 to 10 people, and a method of instantly securing the wall in plumb once it's been raised. So determine how you will fix the wall at the top and the bottom before raising it. Step ladder (s) req.
5. Work it all out, have everyone and everything there before any work commences. Dont use circular saws or fixing guns unless you know what you are doing.
6. You might be better off raising the wall in short sections and pinning them together. Note: if there are doors in the wall then come back here.

my suggestion would be 5 sections off 3m or 4 sections using 3.9m[3.75mm length] and providing your height is 4m you ok with the 3.9 as the top and bottom timber will be 47mm thick giving you 6mm clearance at 3.994m[3.9+.047+0.047]

do you have a structure up top to fix to or a right angle partition to fix to??

Hi thanks for comments so far ...

The building is a metal frame commercial type building with breezeblock lining the inside. The roof is 3m at the sides, rising to 4m in the middle. I can fix the base plate direct to the floor (concrete). At the top there is the main frame of the building, but also galvanised strips that the roof is bolted on to. I was thinking of fastening my top plate to these.

In answer to first reply, there are doors I'm afraid !! A double door on one side and a single on the other. I guess that's why I was thinking of building the wall in situ rather than in sections and then putting them into place (getting 10 people in to lift it in one piece may be interesting also). By in situ I mean, putting top plate and base plate in, then fixing the uprights in place one by one attaching to top and bottom. Obvious then putting noggins in place afterwards.

How does this sound ???

Pete

Sponsored Links
1. What you propose is doable, but you must first establish the final position of the wall - the base plate. Mark it out and the drop plumb lines down to the marked out base line ( work from the inside face at all times ).
2. When you have established your top plate position, fix the plate.
3. Measure down, and cut your studs slightly long, then position them plumb off the base plate, and mark the top cut.
4. Skew nail/toe-nail each stud - 4 at the bottom and 4 at the top.
5. At your door rough openings google rough framing for doors, and follow the diagrams for lintels and cripples.
6. A general rule is to allow your bottom plate to run thro all openings - dont cut it until you are ready.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back